Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hipath 4K How do I convert a "free" Pen 2 "logged off" statu 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARNOLD001

Technical User
Aug 29, 2001
Hi, I accidentally deleted a PEN (active user) before loggin it off. How do I convert this Pen back to "logged off" status. I have the following tools: MANAGER, ASSISTAN, and of course expert mode available. Thanks in advance.

Hi Arnold001,

If your pen is in "free" status when you display it in config manager, you can change it to "logoff" status by
duing the following:

in expert (amo) mode enter

cha-bcsu:logoff,x,x,x,x,; where x,x,x,x is the pen
it will respond with asking for device type,

answer with "optiset" no quotes.

thats it, should now be in logoff status.

Phtech.

Thanks,
I wish could find a site with some basic AMO commands to implement.

Some of those AMOs must be in a foreign language or something - there are things in there I've never heard of or seen in the books, and things missing. For example they say TAPRO is for defining button tables, but it is KEPRO, and TACSU for working with trunks and it is TCSU.... some of it is strange to me - must be the German version or something.

Brief history on the Hicom 300: it was developed in the early '80s for the European/International market. In 1989 when Siemens bought in to IBM/ROLM, development began in Boca Raton and Santa Clara to convert that existing Hicom 300 into a switch that could support US trunks, US features such as keysets, etc. The result was the USA version of the Hicom 300 in 1993. So what you are looking at on that UK website is the original International Hicom 300 AMOs. In the late '90s, development was working on project "Unity" - to merge the International Hicom and the US Hicom 300 into one switch: HiPath 4000. The HiPath 4000 took on some of the characteristics of both systems, but the AMOs look predominantly like the International Hicom 300. The name "Unity" is still used in some of our system coding, namely System Management, where the HiPath 4000 is named "UV1.0" for example - meaning Unity - Version 1.0.
I stopped visiting this site regularly because of negativity towards Siemens from certain individual(s). I'm sure that most of us here have worked on a variety of systems, and we have cussed them all at some time. But when you consistently bash Siemens, you are bashing me. Instead of whining about how Siemens does business, attend HiPath 4000 technical training in Irving, TX and LEARN THE PRODUCT. You will then receive all the product documentation, and you can remain technically updated with each new version via the web. Cheers

Attended cu143 in 2005, Dori was very helpfull, unfortunately been unsucessfull in convincing managment to send me to anything futher such as xpressions training and advanced 4000 trunking and such. I have a 4000 here along with xpressions 4.0 and have been flying by the seat of my pants sence 2005. I help where I can,

many users lots of moves and problems.

have a great day.

Phonetk

Yeah,
I did attend several basic course; Xpressions, Acd, and Hiapath Admin. Unfortunately the instructor refused to go over any advance commands that were not part of the course. It’s quite expensive to attend a weekly course in Dallas.

Thanks, for the response though.

HP4KSME

I can say that I have worked on a many of systems in my 30 years. I will not include the small hybrids, the fly by night PBX systems, but the larger main stream systems. I can say that the Siemens 4000 and the lack of documentation, is the worst I have ever experienced; (next to the Rockwell 580). Even the local techs can’t even work on it. Within tens minutes after getting settled in they are on the phone with TAC. Babysitters not experienced technical people, just a body on site to say they responded.

“Instead of whining about how Siemens does business, attend HiPath 4000 technical training in Irving, TX and LEARN THE PRODUCT”. Now that is a poor statement. Spend tons of money on training and travel with just the most minimal amount of documentation is garbage talk. I’m sorry you feel that that we, “The Customers” bash Siemens and that you take it personally. Siemens has a clear and documented frame work that they are a reaction based organization not a proactive one. This is clearly a statement that reflects the snobbish stance that the customer comes last. Even going to class does not change that fact the Siemens does business in a bogus manner.

I pride myself as a self learner and one to get to know a product before training on it. When I learned the Nortel product it was from the vast material provided with the systems. I read and worked and toiled on them and when I went to training, I was praised for my knowledge depth. The majority of manufactures provide the same level of documentation and it is available on line today. Need any? Not Siemens. What is there to hide? It’s not like they are number one in the industry.

Don’t take this as a personal attack but a level of frustration that reflects in the product you support.

Oh and yes I have documentation backing up what I'm saying here.

Actually the HiPath 4000 and HiPath 8000 are rated as the number 1 systems in their respective catagories by several well-respected consulting firms and magazines worldwide. But that is beside the point. I understand that Siemens has a strict policy regarding documentation. I do not fully understand the corporate reasoning, but it is not just a Siemens Communications policy. I forwarded your quote about the "local techs" to a few contacts in Michigan. Needless to say that I cannot repeat their consensus opinion of your characterization. I find it odd that I have offered you my help, an olive branch, an invitation to attend training, I put you in touch with a fellow Xpressions instructor last year, and he sent you the course documentation that you said you needed, etc. In return I hear the same ol' Siemens bashing. Earth to GMGerry: if you are trying to master the HiPath 4000 on your own, it is counter-productive to antagonize the "local techs" and the certified instructor offering help. You obviously visit this forum for a reason. Is it to help others? Is it to gain knowledge? Both? Or is it to prove to everyone that you are an a$$hole? Note: that last one is working! Lighten up. Ask a HiPath 4000 HG3530/3550/3570/3540/3575 question. I will answer. That is the purpose of this "Hicom 300" forum.

I see that name calling is how this needs to be resolved, than so be it. On behalf of the myself and customer that has the junk 4000 installed I will no longer post to this section of Tek-Tips. I sick of hearing the complaints from other customers and contacts regarding Siemens TAC, Siemens techs and Siemens in general. If you any balls you would email be directly to you discontent in my Siemens employees show.

As for the local techs in Michigan, I stick to what I said, soon they won't have to worry about the systems in question. In the mean time try to fix our problems is less that months.

Since they have not shut off my login yet I wanted to add one more note regarding your self serving comments and leave your sad ways.

Why would I master a system that is out of production and fails any standarad support.

Why would I support a manufacture that can't stand on its own as a technical and assesable product?

Why would I want to support a manufacture that puts sales first and customers second. Oh, since your sharing this with the local techs ask them why we need to do all thier work and they fail at providing us information we needed.

And last, why support a manufacture that can't even get a quote on equipment for weeks.

HP4KSME, Cliffs got my contact info, contact me like a man.

Good-Bye everyone.

Hmmmm.... Interesting. I bought my first Model 30E in 2006 - I believe it was a 9006.2 switch. Knowing better than to trust management to support me I had them bury the cost of my 1-week EMML programming class into the cost of the system. Back in those days I was trained by a major vendor, and went to Plymouth MN, a halfway decent suburb of Mpls.

After I got back the tech I was working with on the install was impressed at how fast I picked it all up and gave me the key to accessing the system as a tech, in more ways than one. I have been 100% self-taught and self supporting since then except for system upgrades and one failed HD - everything else I do myself, and I would do the upgrades too but I don't have access to the EIP scripts. I have a well-deserved reputation among the tech support folks and the vendors, and they know when I call them it is only because I'm desperate and can't figure it out on my own. I have also acquired a full-set of documentation on CD that was accidentally left behind once after an upgrade. They know I have enough common sense to not run a command or do a procedure if I'm not 100% sure of myself.

I have several Model 30 and Model 80 switches now and even a few with the newest version of the software they are making - I've never been uncomfortable with it.

In 2000 I bought a Hicom 150 version 1.0 and the self-teaching training kit that had the cable I needed, the software I needed, manual and some CBT. I taught myself that but never got to take the test and get certified because my company wouldn't pay for it. I have since self taught myself way into the depths of that system as well, and have upgraded it myself to v2.2 and most recently to v3.0. It's really NOT that hard, and most of the stuff is very logical and only requires a tad of common sense. I have not touched one yet, but have heard the 3000 programs much like the 150 with a software tool, but adds AMOs like the 9006 has. I've requested money to put a small 4000 in one of my sites next year but have not heard back yet if I'm getting it. I'm not afraid of it, and I have heard much more good than bad. Everyone that's been in the industry for a while can probably tell you all sorts of different horror stories, but most of them are generally the exception to the rule.

If I have to complain about one thing in the 9006 line of things, and only because I went to college to become a computer programmer and had to work on modular software design teams, the development group for the 9006 language didn't have that good of communication skills. For some of the commands you have to type STN as a parameter and others are STNO - there are a few other commands like that too, but once you know them it's no big deal. Just like in the English language where a clock gets Wound and the flesh receives a Wound, it's all semantics to learn.

The other thing they like to do is every time they touch my switch they take all my wired-for card slots that are not populated and change them to the newer board type (which requires an adapter and for me to PAY for the board) but that's no big deal either because every time they turn their backs I just put them back the way they were and add the boards I have in stock (other than T1 cards, which I know the reason why it was done that way).

If I need to be prejudiced I would say I resist changing away from Siemens because A) I've never had any serious problems in 12 years, and B) I'm too lazy to learn a new box. If I can keep my existing investment and just slowly migrate to newer product (adding a small 4000 to my 9006 switch and gradually migrating over to the 4000 over a few years rather than throwing everything in the dumpster)then why should I not do that? Other than a few work at hom transcriptionists, the MIS geeks, and the Admin folks, I have no need to migrate this place to IP right now - I just need to support the technology and migrate when I get around to it or need it for something significant other than learning about it. And maybe by then they will have figured out a way to keep the internet hackers out of the telephony systems once they are connected to the world!

So no matter how you slice it, they're just boxes and boards. Just like Mopar vs Chevy, they all have their special ways of doing things, but that doesn't make either one bad - you just have to go to more than one school, and hang out with more than one crowd to get what you need.

And be NICE to your techs - no matter how little personality some of them can have (yes I've had one or two of those over the years). You never know when you're going to need a favor in the middle of the night, and having their personal cell numbers can be a real asset when the chips are down!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back