Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HiPath 4000 SNMP and MIBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekhelpThanks

Technical User
Sep 28, 2012
US
Hello,

Can someone tell me if you can configure SNMP on HiPath 4000 v3, v4, v5 and v6. Which version of SMNP does it support? What do you need to have it configured on the HiPath? Do you need HiPath Assistance? Any recommendation on MIBs to use?

System-based SNMP started with V4, if memory serves me correctly.

Deactivated by Default, you must first enable SNMP via "Application Control" in Assistant. (You will need to click around Assistant and locate "Application Control". I think it resides in V4 or V5 "Unix Base Admin", but I just do not recall. In V6, it is found under a different folder in Assistant). After enabling SNMP, wait for the response that it has been successfully enabled, then either logoff from Assistant, then login again, or simply wait 30 seconds and reload the browser.

In Assistant -> Diagnostics, you should see a new folder named "Fault Management". Here you will see the "SNMP Configurator", which is where you configure up to 5 "traps". The MIBs may be viewed from here, but they may not save very well from here. To fetch the MIBs properly, you will need to use Expert Access file transfer to/from Unix in HiPath 4000 V4 or V5, and change directory to the "opt/ncc/mibs" folder.

In HiPath 4000 V6, you must use WinSCP tool and access Assistant virtual machine by using the IP address of Assistant. You will login using the username and password for Assistant. The MIBs will be located in the same folder as above, but this OS is Linux - not Unix. WinSCP (available via internet) simplifies the save process by supporting drag & drop.

I believe the 4K supports SNMP v1.1.

Hope this helps.

Iamnothere,

Thank you so much for your response. This helped me greatly.
Do you know if the following models support SNMP. If so where can I find the MIBs?

HiCom Model 80
HiPath 3800 (Mgr E)
HiCom 150
HG 1500
HG 3530/40
HG3570

What is meant by "Here you will see the "SNMP Configurator", which is where you configure up to 5 "traps"? We have configured the SNMP Configurator and have selected to receive traps from all Fault codes. What is meant by "configure up to 5 traps"? In this area we added our SNMP server information(IP, etc...). We only have one SNMP server. As stated in a previous post, WinSCP did help the process of retrieving the mibs from the switch. I second that recommendation. Our SNMP software discovered the switch and a MIB browser does allow us to see the resulting values in the mibs but finding that one single MIB that we can use to notify technicians that an alarm has occurred has been our issue. Any suggestions on this?
Thanks!

SNMP Configurator" is the name of the webpage by which you configure the SNMP. A "trap" is a server at your location that is running network management software, which can receive SNMP messages from the HiPath 4000. You can configure up to 5 traps, which means that the 4K can send the exact same SNMP data to 5 different servers.
There are two MIBs provided by the HiPath 4000, both located in that same folder mentioned in my previous post. The last time I checked, the capability for your technician to receive a notification is NOT a feature of the HiPath 4000, but rather that is typically a feature of the customer's network management software. I suppose it is possible that the 4K SNMP has been enhanced without notification, but I doubt it.
In summary: SNMP on the 4K merely delivers the alarms, faults, errors, to your server (up to 5 servers) via LAN connection. The two MIBs provide the data that allows your receiving server to decipher the hex codes being transmitted to your server by the 4K, and display this info in English text. Without the MIBs, you would see nothing but hexadecimal garbage. The MIBs decode that data for you - end of story. The MIBs do not provide features such as notifying a tech if a certain error occurs. That type of service is provided by the customer's network management software. Perhaps your network management software lacks the ability to perform such notifications. I am not knowledgeable about the various network management software packages. I can only list a few old ones, such as Tivoli, and HP OpenView.
Perhaps someone else can respond with a customized solution for notifying your technician.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back