Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hipath 4000 and Lync 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1rkm1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2013
US
Hi everyone,

I have a Hipath 4k v5. We are also experimenting with Microsoft Lync for part of our UC expansion.

For our testing environment we have purchased a separate SIP trunk from our Telco provider, and have Lync working well with it. However, we would like to integrate Lync with the 4k. so we can do extension dialing, and also to reduce costs by routing calls internally, and easier management (at least it seems like it will be in theory!).

So my question is, how can I create a SIP trunk on the 4k that I can present to Lync? My 4k currently has a SIP configured STIMI card, but it is in use with stations already (if that matters). Or is it just a matter of telling Lync to use the IP of my SIP Stimi card?

If anyone can suggest documentation to read or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

-1RKM1-

Since V4 the STMI can be configured with multiple functionalities, e.g. HG3570 (IPDA Speech Path) and HG3530 (HFA phones) and SIP (Subscribers) and HG3550 (IP Trunking). In your case it sounds as though the STMI may already be fully configured with SIP Subscribers. In this case, if you would like to re-configure the STMI to accommodate new functions such as HG3550 to support SIP Trunking, you must delete everything from the board and start anew. It's not as complicated as it sounds - just use the REGEN verb, e.g. REG-SBCSU, then attempt to delete the SIP phone using DEL-SBCSU:<station number>,ALL; If there is something else configured/bonded to that station, the 4K will attempt to tell you how to cope with it. OR you can use a new STMI!
When everything is deleted from the board, you must delete the board using DEL-BCSU:IPGW.... Then you will need to re-define the board functionality using ADD-BFDAT. When done with the BFDAT config, you may ADD-BCSU:IPGW again. Then perform ADD-CGWB to configure the IP Address, Default Router address, and set the Trunking Protocol using parameter "TRPRSIP" by assigning the same number of B-channels that you configured in AMO BFDAT when you set-up the Board Functionality e.g. "30".
Regarding Lync connecting to the 4K: both systems support Native SIP, but in HiPath 4000 V5 the Native SIP is apparently not quite kosher to support basic calls with features with Lync. I have not attempted to setup this connection, so I do not know the specific problems. But I do know that in HiPath 4000 V6R2 there is a new Native SIP Trunking profile specifically designed to improve the feature interaction with "Microsoft Lync". This new "profile" is assigned via STMI/Web-Based Management, and is used to fine-tune the Siemens' side of the Native SIP connection to support basic features with Lync. The STMI is pointed to the IP Address of the Lync's Mediation server, so you will also need to know how to configure the Lync side of this SIP Trunk. In V5 you can probably setup a Native SIP connection to Lync using the generic Native SIP Trunking profile that mentions "WITHOUT REGISTRATION". The resultant Native SIP Trunk may support basic VOICE calls, but may not support transporting the calling/called party number or name in either direction. You may also seek info from Microsoft regarding connection to the HiPath 4000. My advice is to try to configure it and see what happens! I live in a pure Siemens environment. They don't let me outside often!
Configuring a Point-to-Point SIP trunk is not difficult once you have the "knack", but it can be tricky for a beginner. This Point-to-Point connection should NOT require the Large Enterprise GateKeeper (LEGK) (insert huge sigh of relief here!). You will need to know the LCR AMOs in order to dial Lync over this circuit. I believe you may already have some good documentation to cover that piece of this puzzle, since you stated that you recently attended the BASIC training course.
Let me know your thoughts. If you are willing to give it a try, I will provide some additional documentation that should help you be successful.

Thanks Iamnothere,

I have plans in the near future to have that card freed up, once we do a swap for locations where our equipment is housed. Once that happens I will be able to implement your suggestion. My hopes was that I could add the functionality to the card while keeping the Stations active on it. It doesnt seem as though that is possible currently.

It really sucks that I had to leave the training at Siemens early this month, perhaps this would have been covered. I should be at the next session in October, hopefully I will then be in a position to proceed.

Thank you again for your help.

-1RKM1-

Actually the configuration of all things IP is covered in the ADVANCED course, with one exception. The BASIC course includes the installation of AC-Win 2Q/MQ IP (IP-based Attendant Console). AC-Win IP utilizes the HG3530 function of a STMI board (HFA; therefore there is mention of it during the BASIC course. But mentioning it is about the extent of it!

Iamnothere / community,

while I was in doing some housekeeping I ran across a STIMI card in my system that appears to already be configured with multiple functions / no stations. I re-read all of the notes above, but am curious to know what is the limit of the # lines / stations on a card? If the card already has an IP address (changed to xxx by me), and you assign another IP to it for use with the sip trunk? I also checked and both functions below show connected, I am just not sure what is using funct #1 unless its my call director.

The card that is configured as:
14 | Q2324-X500 STMI4 1 A 0| | Q2324-X500 | 1 -11 - | READY
+--------------------------------+-+------------+------------+------------
| IP ADDRESS : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx B-CHANNELS : 40 BCHLCNT : 40
| BLOCK NO : 21 PRERESERVED LINES ASSIGNED : NO
| 1. FUNCT : HG3530 10 LINES B-CHANNELS : 30 BCHLCNT : 30
| 2. FUNCT : HG3550 1 LINES B-CHANNELS : 10 BCHLCNT : 10
+--------------------------------+-+------------+------------+------------

Is it possible to add a function #3 providing for two separate HG3550 functions? It seems as though all of my other STIMI cards are configured with 60 B-channels, where this one is 40. I suspect that i would need to reconfigure it to be 60 channels, assuming that there is not a performance limitation that caused the system to be set to 40 originally. That would give me the ability to configure it with 1 line, 20 B-channels.

Thoughts? Am I dreaming? Or confused?

Since there is nothing provisioned on the board right now it will be pretty easy to repartition it any way you want. The hard part is when you have phones or something on the board because you have to delete them all off before you can repartition it.

Each B-channel represents 2 ports (phones, trunks, SIP, whatever) in the system, so if you need 16 SIP phones you would need 8 B-channels, etc... You should be able to have multiple 3550 partitions on a board as long as each one is set for a different purpose. Nice thing is if you try it and it won't let you you can always set it up for something else without a major hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back