Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HiPath 3750 - adding SLMO24 card 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschetta

Systems Engineer
Feb 20, 2019
US
Good day and apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find evidence otherwise...
I have 2 HiPath 3700/3750 systems that I need to add a digital subscriber card to. Both systems have an available slot available to accommodate the cards.
Some information:
-Both systems have existing SLMO24 cards in them (S30810-Q2901-x-7)
-According to the loadware, it looks like the system is using SLMO: 55.407 for the cards
-I've found a somewhat local vendor that has a refurbished SLMO24's that have part numbers of S30810-Q2901-X-G1 and S30810-Q2901-X10-1

Am I able to power down the system, insert the card into an empty slot, power back up and start configuring the lines in the HiPath manager? Or is there a bit more involved? Heck, are the cards from the vendor I mentioned even compatible? Also, is there any kind of licensing required to add these cards to the system? I'm trying to think of anything else that may be helpful, so if I left something out, please let me know!

Thank you, all :)

You should be able to use the boards as they appear to be the same part number, but just newer versions. What you have to do though is program the slot for that board - if you can see the listing of all the boards in your system (if you have direct AMO if would be DIS-BCSU:TBL; ) you would have to look at what's in that slot, and if nothing you would have to add the part number of that board in the same matter it is entered for the rest of them.

That sets up the slot of the board. I believe if you install the board but don't tell the slot to expect it you will see a "Worng Board Type (WBT)" error for that slot.

The next piece of the puzzle is that you need to have enough port licenses to cover the additional ports on that board.

The final piece of the puzzle is if the system has the memory allocated DIMEN/DIMSU you need to make sure that the maximum number of those phones allocated is high enough to allow for the new phones.

I seem to remember the 3700 series is more like the HiCom 150 series where you use Manager E (better) or Manager C to edit your system config and save it to a .KDS file. If that is the case you should be able to edit the boardmap and other settings if needed right through that utility if you are logged in with the Admin password and not a customer password - make a couple of backups before you change anything! You can't do anything about your license count though if you don't hace enough available ports - they aren't going to upgrade it.

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

@donb01 Thanks for the reply! Your memory does serve correct: We use the Manager-E to make configuration changes to the system. I'm pretty sure we have admin-level access to our PBXs. Thanks for giving me a progression to follow with the boards. Two more questions that I have to ask with the information you gave: Do you remember where/if the licensing information is found in the HiPath Manager? What would happen if we install a board and aren't licensed for it? Would the system still function as normal, with the exception of the new board?

I can tell you that if you do not have licenses for the ports your system will continue to function properly, but you either won't be allowed to create the phones, or if you do they won't work. I have worked on a number of different flavors of the hardware over the years and I am pretty sure if you run up against the memory partition (max number of Digital sets, for example) it will tell you that you have to increase the limit. The standard warning for that is only add what you need - don't add on a bunch of extra ones if you aren't using them, but a few estra is OK to save time later. Every additional one you add to the device count reserves that much memory out of the system for that device, so one doesn't want to add 50 more than they will ever need. I know how to set those values in the 4K and 9006, but I am not sure where that resource allocation table is in what you have - but I HAVE looked at it in the past.

I also don't remember exactly where the licensing information is stored - the newer systems use a "codeword" and you can tell it to display that and it will tell you mow many ports you are licensed for and how many are used. Back in those days the licenses were different. Now a port is a port. Back then you had to license max trunks, stations, etc. I would look for something called License Info. The cost of the licenses may be included in the cost of the board (initially) and you may be limited by the maximum capacities of your system configuration.

I still have the documents for all the older stuff up to right before Hicom 150 became Hicom 3700

Code:
Inserting new
board in free slot
Board is integrated in the system per the rules for initial installation (refer to Initializing the Boards on page 4-59).
● System with default numbering plan
The station numbers on the new board are appended consecutively in ascending order to the numbers already assigned.
● System with modified numbering plan
The station numbers on the new board can be in any order.
Using Hicom Assistant E Office Office or Hicom Assistant T,
you can assign a specific station number to a port. If the number is already assigned to another object, you can exchange
the two station numbers.

Code:
Initializing the Boards
The first time the system starts up, the system software detects the boards in ascending order, starting with the lowest installation position. The system initializes subscriber line circuits and ports the direction of the arrow (Figure 4-35).
The system activates all connected boards in the following situations:
● The maximum configuration has not yet been reached. While sequentially scanning the slots for each board, the system software checks whether the maximum
number of stations or trunks has been exceeded. If it has, the board is not activated. The board LED shows the board’s status

Cabinets are scanned - base cabinet, expansion 1, expansion 2... The boards are hot pluggable, but I'm not sure if it will find the board right away or if you will have to restart the system so it can find it. For ultimate saftey I would make a full backup and save it somewhere, shut down and power off the system, and then install the new board. I am not sure if they fixed all the power supply issues from the Hicom 150 days, but I did have a few panic situations where I have powered off the system and it wouldn't power back on - after that I kept a spare power supply on the shelf!

The other thing I seem to remember is how the system lays out the ports. When you install the new board it *may* insert a block of ports in the middle of stuff you already have laid out, or it might append them at the end....

The other thing the document implies is that if you do not have enough capacity to cover the board it will not activate.

Don Bruechert, Voice Comm Analyst II
CareTech Solutions @ Holy Family Memorial
Manitowoc, WI, USA

The 3750 didn't licence ports. The system supports hot plugin and will assign the new card to the end of the programming. There are restrictions on time slots per pair of physical slots but from memory 2 SLMO cards will be fine, just don't put it beside a SLC dect card as it uses all 64 on its own. Insert the card and as long as there hasn't been a different card in that slot previously, when the led matches the other cards you are good to go. If there has been a card in there before other than an slmo24 then you need to do a card removal, usually via the phone then do reset to finalise the removal.

@donb01- Thanks again for useful information. Regarding power issues and the HiPath, I'm always puckering up whenever I perform a hard restart on these machines, to say the least. I've had some flukes with power at one of my locations. Luckily, it seemed to go away upon the next power cycle. I have to do some digging to see if I can drum up the manual on Hipath and read up on the section you posted, relevant to the 37**

@cody64 - Thanks as well. We don't use any of the DECT cards in our systems, so I guess that's good news for us. The cabinet I will be placing the card in at our one location has 5 empty slots in it. When I switch over to the SW config, it doesn't show any programming on it. I'm assuming I could use the slot i've indicated
pic1_g4jynl.jpg

The other site I'm trying to add a card to is a single cabinet with waht appears to be 1 free slot. The system physically detects it as being empty, however the SW config shows that it may have had a card at one time (?). I'm assuming I would need to remove the programming for the slot and assign it as an SLMO card?
pic2_h38tjf.jpg

Hi, You will need to remove the old card in the single cab system in software first. You don't need to add the new one, it will do it itself. You shouldn't need to power down the systems to do these changes, do the card removal via the main phone then do a soft reset, either by pushing the reset button on the cpu card or via maintenance in Man E. NOTE: Holding the reset button on the cpu card for 5 secs or more will DEFAULT the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back