Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HiPath 3700 QSIG PRI Caller ID Mystery 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

buttercool

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2018
US
Hello!

I recently added a Hipath 3700 to my home lab (I have an odd interest in old PBXs, my wife loves it....). Much like the other systems I have it is integrated to a Cisco 2811 via a QSIG PRI. I've been able to get the HiPath configured to successfully make internal/external calls, and calls between the other networked systems (AVAYA G3, Cisco CUCM 12). In fact, most everything works perfectly, except for one thing -- caller ID for inbound EXTERNAL calls does not show the name or number of the caller, but instead just shows the name of the route 'PRI to VGW' in my case. What makes this more interesting is that 'internal' calls from one PBX to another work just fine -- so, for example, calling from my AVAYA PBX to an extension on the Hipath rings the phone and displays the caller name, it even displays the connected party name after I pick up the phone (yay QSIG!).

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what I could look into to ensure that inbound EXTERNAL calls also display caller ID? Based on the testing I've done its pretty clear that that Hipath can successfully receive the caller name information and display it on the Optisets, but I can't wrap my head around why external calls landing on the Hipath only show the Route name. I've done an isdn q931 debug on both calls with successful and unsuccessful caller display and all the caller name/number fields in the trace look valid and are decoded correctly it seems.

Perhaps I'm missing some obscure setting? I've been reading thru the service manual trying to find anything I missed but haven't been able to find any promising leads.

As always, any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: A few additional details: The system is a Hipath 3700 v4.0. I have also tried using another protocol for the PRI (DMS100) which did change the behavior but not for the better (I only see a redirected number on inbound calls, and the caller name between system no longer works as a result). Should I also be trying one of the generic NI-2 protocols too?

What is the PRI terminating on ?
Can you check that the caller ID is being received on that system from your provider?
Some providers may still charge / need a request for CallerID
Check with the provider what protocol they are using. Though normally I wouldn't expect the PRI to be up if the wrong protocol is used.

Thank you for responding!

The PRI is terminating on a Cisco 2811 router ( I have 3 other PRIs on this box connecting together several other PBX's together ).
I can confirm that the caller ID is being received on the system (it is displayed on the receiving Optiset when I dial from another PBX into the Hicom, but NOT received when an external call comes in with caller ID) and all other call functions work well over the ISDN trunk (call out, call in, transfer to another PBX etc.)

In my case the actual inbound provider is Google Voice which terminates on an ObiHai SIP gateway that then connects to Asterisk and then hands the call over to the Cisco 2811. The Cisco 2811 does the conversion from SIP to QSIG and passes the call over to the ISDN trunk heading to the Hicom. The inbound Google Voice trunk does provide caller ID for all incoming calls (this works fine on the other systems too).

I'm fairly confident that the Obi --> Asterisk --> 2811 piece works and passes caller id, as the other PBXs receive external caller IDs just fine and I do see the caller ID (Display IE and Facility IE) messages in the Cisco q931 trace.

I'm trying to figure out how to do a call trace from the Hicom perspective, I know it's under maintenance but I dont believe I have the utility to decode. I'll capture on later today from a working and non working and see if I can post.

Cheers,
bc

Wanted to post here for posterity.

I ended up figuring it out :)

The key was comparing q931 traces from a call where caller name was successfully displayed, to a call where they were not.

Here is a working trace (names and specific numbers changed for privacy) -- this was a call from another PBX into the hicom, over a PRI passing thru the Cisco 2811:

[pre]
Facility i = 0x9FAA068001008201008B0100A1160202023A020100800D446D6974727920426172736B79
Progress Ind i = 0x8183 - Origination address is non-ISDN
Display i = 'Kanye West'
Calling Party Number i = 0x0080, '3601'
Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown [/pre]

Here is a non-working trace of an EXTERNAL call coming into the Cisco 2811 and being sent out the PRI to the hicom:

[pre]Facility i = 0x9FAA06800100820100A115020123020100800D446D6974727920426172736B82
Display i = 'Kanye West'
Calling Party Number i = 0x0081, '+12345687229'
Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown[/pre]

I did a series of tests, and what I discovered was the main difference in the working and non working instances was 1 main difference:
Working inbound calls had a caller ID number that did NOT include the '+' symbol.

Once I made that realization, the solution was rather simple ---

1. Create a new voice translation rule on the Cisco 2811, a la:

[pre]voice translation-rule 3700
rule 1 /^\+/ //
![/pre]

2. Assign that rule to a profile on the Cisco 2811, like:

[pre]voice translation-profile strip-plus-calling
translate calling 3700[/pre]

3. Finally, attaching the rule to the dial peer for the OUTBOUND leg from the Cisco 2811 to the Hipath 3000 like so:

[pre]dial-peer voice 3700 pots
description OUT to HCM 150 37xx
translation-profile outgoing strip-plus-calling
destination-pattern 37..
supplementary-service pass-through
port 1/1:23
forward-digits 4[/pre]

After making those changes everything works perfectly, inbound calls show the caller name!

Hope this helps someone one day :D

This gets a like for Kanye!!

Siemens/Unify - Hipath 3000, Openscape Office and Openscape Business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back