Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hints or tricks in SQL Statements

Status
Not open for further replies.

jballum

MIS
Jul 10, 2000
CA
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on forcing specific indexes to be used in select statements (or point me to some documentation on the subject). I encountered some yesterday that by changing something in the WHERE clause would speed up the query from 60 minutes to 2 minutes because a specific index was used like it should have been.

Thanx,

JB

P.S. Were hints (ie. /*+ INDEX tablename indexname*/ ) available in Version 7? I can't get my hands on any documentation other that some archived HTML stuff on Oracle Web site.

It looks as if you've answered your own question. If you want to force the use of a specific index, use an optimizer hint.

Optimizer hints were available in Oracle 7.

The possible problem is in your hint:
/*+ index(tablename indexname)*/, where tablename must be the alias name if you use aliases.

Hints are available in version 7 of Oracle but the optimiser will ignore them if the init.ora paramter optimiser_mode is set to RULE. Bear in mind that the follwing will prevent the optimiser from using an index:

-Using functions on the indexed column(s) in the WHERE clause
-Performing NULL comparisons in the WHERE clause on the indexed column(s) e.g. WHERE mycolumn IS NULL
-Using the NOT operator on the indexed column(s) in the where clause e.g. WHERE mycolumn NOT IN ('A','B')

Also bear in mind that Oracle may use a function without telling you should you, for example, include a string as a comparison on a numeric field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back