Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Highlighting Expert on Multiple Fields 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeyBrady

MIS
Mar 24, 2005
US

Is there a way to set the highlighting expert on multiple fields at a time. I acquired a report with over 1,000 fields (yes 1,000+) on it so I would prefer to change the highlighting once.

I have tried selecting multiple fields but the highlighting expert selection disappears when you select two or more fields. I have also tried the format painter but it doesn't paint what is set in the highlighting expert. I'm using Crystal XI but have tried the latest Crystal 2008 and it behaved the same as XI.

You will be my hero for the day if you can help me.

How/what are you trying to highlight?

Try selecting what you want the Right Click > Format Objects. On the Font Tab you can change font options you can change the color of the font and use a formula.

Or on Border tab you can change the background with a formula.

You can write the formula as something like to make it blue:

if {FIELD_HERE} = "SOME_VALUE" then crBlue

Does that help?

I'm trying to use the tool called "Highlighting Expert" which is often used to change colors to red, yellow green or something like that. I want to be able to change the value based off of "This".

My report with 1,000 fields on it is an ocean of 0's with the occasional nonzero value here and there. The ocean of zeroes makes it difficult to find the fields that are not zero. I was able to "suppress if zero" and remove all of the zeroes to expose the values but then it was difficult to see which row and column some of the numbers were in. My plan was to make every field very light gray if the value of the field "This" was zero using the highlighting expert. The light gray zeroes would no longer dominate the landscape and would be useful for scanning across the rows and columns.

I'll probably have to go with suppressing if zero and using a light background behind every other row to make scanning easier.

You're still my hero for trying to help!

You don't need to use the highlighting expert. If you right click on the gray area to the left of the report canvas, you can choose "select all section objects". Then right click->format objects->borders->color->background->x+2 and enter a formula like this:

if currentfieldvalue = 0 then
crSilver else
crNoColor

-LB

LBASS is my hero again.

Of course that worked. I didn't know that currentfieldvalue existed. I had tried "this" hoping it was a reserved word since it is called "this" in the highlighting expert. I think it is time for me to scan the list of functions in the crystal help file. It looks like they are a few more that I wasn't aware of that could be helpful.

To clarify, currentfieldvalue works only in formatting formula areas.

-LB

Yes the functions available can change depending on where you are. To see what is available in the present formula editor you can hit CTRL-Enter and it will pop up an autocomplete box with the available functions. The available functions change in the function tree of the formula editor too.

Thanks again Linda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back