Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Highlight/Select field programmatically 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2005
US
How can one select or highlight the contents of an entire field to avoid doing so manually by passing the cursor over the entire field?

When tabbing through fields on a form, each field is fully highlighted or selected -- you can begin keying immediately. When using the cursor to position to a field, the edit bar of the cursor is positioned in front of the first character. I would like the entire field to be highlighted once I move the cursor to it.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Pete

Do you want to do this programmatically for particular fields or via options for all fields? If the latter,

Tools->Options, Keyboard tab, Behavior Entering Field option.

If you want the cursor to always go to the end of the text, look at Selstart

Private Sub Field1_GotFocus()
If IsNull(Field1) = False Then
Field1.SelStart = Len(Trim(Field1)) + 1
End If
End Sub

Regards

Further Clarification

I have optioned "Select entire Field" -- when I use the tab key it goes to each field and does what it is supposed to do -- it selects the entire field. However, when I use the mouse and position it to a particular field the the edit bar stands before the first character in the field. I would like to have the entire field selected upon entry to the control via the mouse.

Let us say you have a control called FileName:

Code:
Private Sub FileName_Click()
Me.FileName.SelStart = 0
Me.FileName.SelLength = Len(Trim(Me.FileName.Text))
End Sub

You will need code for each relevant field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back