Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High school uses brain dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilliabeth

Technical User
Jan 26, 2005
US
The teacher gives students just one book: Test King.

The student I talked to said the class consisting of memorizing the book, but the instructor would help if they needed him. The students do take the A+ exams at the end of the sememster.

Is it just me, or is this terribly unethical? Should I do anything?

Hi Lilliabeth,

What is your stake in all of this? Are you a student? Faculty? or interested third part? The only reason I ask is to try and determine to what extent you would be ignored.

Unethical? You bet.
Unprofessional? You bet.

This teacher is doing the students a great disservice. I would be very curious as to what his pass/fail rate is.

If it does not put you in personal jeopardy, I would sing it from the rooftops if I were in your position.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CSS,CFOS/T,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

I am not a affiliated with the school in any way.

What rooftop, specifically?

I don't think the school board would care. I don't have any personal experience with this particular board, I just don't think any school board would feel passionately about it. They wouldn't "get it".

I didnt see anything helpful on CompTIA's Web site.

I have no idea who to tell.

Lilliabeth,

You might get lucky with a call to the local newspaper - see if they have a tech beat writer - he/she might understand and make it a big deal.

Write the school and ask in general if they teach all the answers to the tests in all the classes.

All schools are acredited somewhere (even high schools) find out where and send info to them.

I have taught in a Cisco Academy in college for 8 years and we always talk about the TestKings and brain dumps - I always give the class a story that Cert magazine had about a brain dumper who got hired and then fired several months later because he never learned anything.

Most get the point but some just want to be paper CCNAs and MCSEs and learn the hard way - you see a lot of them b_tching in the forums that certs did not help them get a job!

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Unfortunately, many schools "teach to the test" these days.

Here is a link to make an anonymous email (if there is such a thing) to CompTIA about a breach in exam security. That would include copyright infringment like TestKing.

Contact anyone who will listen. School Board, Administrators, Principle. Stir something up. Good luck. You restore my faith in professionalism.

A+,N+,S+,L+,I+,HTI+,e-Biz+,Security+,CETma,CSS,CFOS/T,CCNT,CCTT,ACSP,ISA CCST3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back