Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High School Setup with ProCurve Switching Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonymeluso

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2005
US
We are in the plans of replacing some of our Procurve switches here at our school. What we have right now is two 2124 in a rack that switches a whole floor. At a second location we have the same setup switching a whole floor.

In the data center we have a 4000m which switches two floors. From what I can tell from HP's website is no longer carried. This switch is connected to the other four switches mentioned above and to our main switch which is a 2524. No fiber anywhere. Can you believe it.

I'm planning to do a complete make over with fiber in mind this time. I'm thinking of replacing those 2124 with a two 2650s one at each location. Replace the 4000m with a 4100gl series and throw in 3 sets of 48 10/100 ports in there and leave the fourth port with mini GBIC. Connecting them all with fiber to the 4100gl and then to the 2524 through a Gigabit fiber connection.

We are going a good amount of distances here between switches 200 - 300 feet and we are streaming video over the network and do remote presentations. About 100 computers involved.

So my question is how is this setup? Any suggestions?

Anthony

At those distances, you should be fine with a short-haul fiber mini-GBIC ( This link will speak to distance maximums and bandwidth maximums for the HP J4858B.

It sounds like you are on the right track with the changes that you are planning. You can also have HP call you to discuss your thoughts and make recommendations (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back