Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High resolution graphics in asm, without banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theherod

Programmer
Jun 28, 2007
Hello,
I would like to ask for some reference or any help, about how to work with high resolution graphics (like 1024X768) with 256 colors, without using banks and to be able to use DMA (Direct Memory Access).

I assume you're talking about IBM-compatible PCs with VGA-style graphics? Are you using a dos-type environment (command-prompt box in windows)? If so, I don't believe there is a way to use high-resolution graphics without banks, because that is the memory model built into the graphic card. You can look at VESA to get access to the higher resolutions, which at least allows you to handle the banking. Good luck!

If I recall correctly (long time ago since I was coding such stuff):

1. DMA cannot be used for memory-memory transfers on PCs.
2. To use linear access to gfx, you need: Vesa 2.0 compatible gfx card and 32-bit protected mode environment. I think I used some pmode extender and switching to linear access gfx mode via vm86 call)

I'll check this both. Maybe I'll have no choice but use banks...
Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back