Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Res. Prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

bash3r

Technical User
Oct 13, 2001
US
Hello,
I have a question, I need to make Hi Res graphics for a company to print signs with. My question is how do you determine what size to make the graphic? I am creating a simple logo with text, nothing special. But how large should be start with the document. I know they will print it on the side of a truck, can I simply make a graphic that is 300dpi and 600px X 600px or does it need to be larger?

thanks

Much larger really, but you should consider using a vector based application, such as Illustrator or Freehand instead. That way you can keep your file sizes to a minimum and it doesn't matter how much you enlarge your file.

At 300dpi, 600x600px may print ok at 2 inches square, but will start to lose definition at larger sizes (not ideal for the side of a truck!). It probably won't print as sharp as a vector image, even at that small size, because of the way raster/pixel images are processed by printers. Most professional logos are not created in Photoshop because of these limitations, although they are sometimes imported in for special effects in specific applications.

I have Freehand. So would I create the logo in Photoshop them import it to Freehand? And what size would I start the graphic, some of these logos will be put on the side of a truck, on smal road signs and then on 800x600 projected slides. Whatever size I use for the large prints I can resample it for the small stuff, but I'm not sure where to start with this.

thanks for the replies!

Hi,

You start in freehand or illustrator and make the logo, then import into photoshop if you need to. If you use only freehand or illustrator for creating the logo, then simply save it as an .eps file and then send that to the print shop.

Hope this helps!
relax.gif

If you use freehand or illustrator from the start it won't really matter what size you start with - you're using vector graphics, which are just mathematical representations of lines and curves. They can resize infinitely and you needn't worry about resolution like you do with a bitmap image or graphic. Handy things...

I don't see how you could create the entire graphic in Freehand, I know I'm a new user to it, but I don't even see the ability to fill selections or create the graphic with the appropriate tools.

Can you convert bitmaps to vector in Freehand?

Pick up a good book on illustrating with freehand. Unless your graphic includes an actual photograph, most anything can be done as vector graphics. Do you have a drawing of what you want to do that you can post somewhere?

What I did was import a gif into Flash, then convert it to vector and then paste into Freehand. I could not get the graphic, b&w to remove the black background in Freehand. It may not be the best way or right way, but it worked! There is so much to learn..

And every way you learn to work around a problem is one more tool for your toolbox - not to mention the satisfaction of FINALLY FIGURING IT OUT!

good job[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back