Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Profile Request - Nortel Cordless Needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyNed2

Technical User
Nov 1, 2005
US
Our mayor wants a cordless phone. Based on past experience I don't want to mix an analog cordless on the same DN as his 3904 desk set. I also don't want to install a whole Spectralink system as our Nortel sales rep suggested ($$$$).

I saw some old threads about the CM-16 and the discontinued 2616CT.

Can anyone offer comments, good or bad, about the newer Nortel T7406? Would it have the same problem as mixing a digital with an analog, i.e., you can't pick up both phones at once to switch from one to the other the way you can with your analog lines at home?

Stand by for the next mayoral request..............

The T7406 is not supported on Meridian 1/CS 1000 systems.

I have 2 CM-16's running now (at different locations) and my users love them. Great range and good features - programs on your switch like a 2616. They are about $350.00 each where I got them. Have had zero problems with any of them in 8 months since I put the first one in. I will probably be getting a few more soon for another location.

I don't know about the T7406 on a BCM or Norstar. But in the M1/CS1000 world you can mix an analog and digital and have them pick up the line at the same time. Adding an analog phone with the same number will put it in mix mode and can be shared.

"Can anyone offer comments, good or bad, about the newer Nortel T7406? Would it have the same problem as mixing a digital with an analog, i.e., you can't pick up both phones at once to switch from one to the other the way you can with your analog lines at home?"

Where did you get this info, your so far off base it's unbelievable. Both can answer the call and switch back and forth or talk at the same time like a conference call.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

mayor is not high profile. nortel wireless voip works. you can have the same number on wireless and tdm if you have the lic.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Another possible option. Im guessing your running minimal Succession release 3. If the mayor has a cell phone purchase some PCA licenses their cheap believe it or not. After you program it up when he leaves the office he can turn this on and off from his desk and all calls will display on his cell and office phone at the same time. Couple of kickers, if his cell has voice mail, calls will terminate to it if it picks up first or becomes out of range. If he can adjust the no answer ring time on his cell phone higher than the PBX voice mail hes good to go. You cannot do anything about out of range if the PCA is active calls will go to the cell mail same as if you called it directly. Just an idea.

Sorry Ace. That's what I remember from a 61C running Rel 21.54 several years ago.

Was I just as far off base about not wanting to do fancy programming so our folks don't have to do 10-digit dialing?

Thanks, Lee, for the CM-16 info. I've never had any experience with those.

It has always been my thinking that I want to make it a easy as possible for people to make a call without having to know if a call is local, LD or whatever. I hate when I go somewhere and try to make a call and I get the phone company recording "It's not nesseary to dial a 1 or a 0 when making this call OR you must dial a one or a 0 when making this call" Will if you know I do or don't need to dial a 1 or a 0, why can't you just fix it and not make me try to figure it out. I know this makes a lot of programming, but I like to do it.

Not Good. If a call is LD, users should dial it as LD. Their home phone is not going to do it for them. Also gets difficult when you have multiple NPA's in a reasonably small geographic area.

For example, Toronto has 5 NPA's that have local NNX's within them. 416/647 are geographically Toronto. 905/289 are the surrounding geographical area and have both local and ld NNX's within them. 519 is outside the 905 NPA (15 minutes drive along HWY 401) and there are about 4 NNX's that are also local to Toronto. Finally, there is an overlay in NPA 519 (currently escapes me) that may also end up having local NNX's to 416/647.

What would be better would be for telcos to start playing the intercept message and then ACTUALLY processing the call (Rogers Wireless in Canada does this). This would allow the user to to know that the call is LD, but saves them from having to redial.

But do the user's know it's an LD or not, so the only way for them to find out is dial it and see if they get the recording. And I agree if the telco can intercept me and tell me it does or doesn't need the 1 or 0, why can't they just dial the number for me.

When I travel from site to site in different states, it's a pain in the ass to have to figure out do I need the 1 or do i need to dial the NPA for local calls, why not just be MISTER NICE GUY and do it for them.

Ace, and Magna, you're right on the money here. I'm in the Chicago suburbs...don't have to tell you how many NPAs and overlays we have!!! @#$%^@&$

My understanding is that this request would have to be programmed in NARS/BARS and that it would have to be done BY NXX BY NPA. Let me see, several thousand NXX per NPA times nearly a dozen NPAs, and the programming would have to be updated every time there's a change in NPA or NXX.

KISS really applies here. I hope I can convince the Mayor. JP, the mayor believes he is high profile. ;-)

Thanks, all, for your input.

I would have to agree that an Aastra CM-16 may be your best bet. Programmed just like a 2616 with his number and should work well for him. It should be simple to implement and he can get his calls on his desk phone or the cordless. KISS

You can get a 2616CT refurished pretty cheap now and they work great.Distance is variable due to surroundings,of course.Equal to a 900 mg you would have at home.Have several at hospital were I work and they love em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back