Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High pitch sound in a DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

psasu

MIS
Dec 23, 2003
US
I noticed that one of the DC running win2k server gives a high pitch sound intermittenly and do not know what is causing that sound.Its behavior is similar to when you put your foot on your car accerelator,press it and that will raise the engine sound and when you take your foot off, then engine sound will return to normal
This behavior will persists for say about 3 minutes and then stops entirely.
The system is Asus motherboard with raid 1 features;Pent4 1.8cpu and 512 rambus memory

Well, this has nothing to do with the OS, but it sounds like your internal fans are kicking on to handle heat build up.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

If there is nothing "bad" in EventViewer logs, then seems it's hardware problem...

Victor K
MCSE+I;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);CNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA;Net+;CCNA;CCSE+

My guess is a bearing in one of the fans or one of the hard drives is having problems. If possible you can open the case and press in the middle of the running fans (thereby avoiding the fan blades) to see which fan it is. If it's a hard drive bearing, and if they're hot-swap hard drives, you can stop individual drives to see which one it is. Or, you can wait until it dies completely. That's the easiest but least desirable way to troubleshoot the noise.

FWIW,

Joe Brouillette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back