Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high level discussion on preloading stragegy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugstable

Programmer
Feb 20, 2006
US
I am finally utilizing the container method for site structure - and it rocks... My container is pretty light and calls 3 external swf files to make up the content(nav.swf content.swf .chowder.swf). I am passing 3 variables when my nav buttons are clicked, each var coincides with the 3 individual movies i need to fill in my container. I think my preloader strategy would be to pass those 3 vars to my preloader script so that i can start the preoloader of the next scene.

What would be the best tutorial to utilize for this... i tried searching the forum but alot of the links are broken...

If you could also give me a high level explanation of how you think the preloader should work i would really appreciate it... Thanks!!!

i missworded this - sorry... Aftre spending the whole day i think i know how to word it - but i still cant code it... I guess this is progress...

i want container.swf to load normally. Inside container.swf i want to preload navie.swf, home.swf and imageEffect.swf.

after these files are preloaded i want to be able to load them to holderNav_mc, holderHome_mc and holderImageEffect_mc.

i hope that is less vague...

i was fooling around with something like this today:
var images_mc:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("images_mc", this.getNextHighestDepth());
var navie_mc:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("navie_mc", this.getNextHighestDepth());
var home_mc:MovieClip = this.createEmptyMovieClip("home_mc", this.getNextHighestDepth());

var mcLoader:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();
var listener:Object = new Object();
listener.onLoadProgress = function(target:MovieClip, bytesLoaded:Number, bytesTotal:Number):Void {
trace(target + ".onLoadProgress with " + bytesLoaded + " bytes of " + bytesTotal);
trace("%" +Math.round(bytesLoaded / bytesTotal* 100 ));
}
listener.onLoadInit = function(target:MovieClip):Void {
trace(target + ".onLoadInit");
}

mcLoader.addListener(listener);
mcLoader.loadClip("images.swf", images_mc);
mcLoader.loadClip("navie.swf", navie_mc);
mcLoader.loadClip("home.swf", home_mc);

i could loadClip the movies to a location off the viewing area, and then move them to the stage in the next frame...

i would just have to put a simple ani on the stage while this was running...

would this be a decent way to get the job done????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back