Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High CPU usage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyPC

Programmer
Jan 10, 2000
GB
I am using Windows 98 Second Edition. On one of the three PC's I use, the kernel processor usage sits at 34% almost contiuously when the machine has been idle for an extended period. I cannot find out what is using the CPU. Any ideas or suggestions for useful utilities?

Sorry you haven't gotten an answer yet, and I hope you don't need mine anymore. But, just in case:<br>
<br>
Check out the task lists of each computer after a fresh restart. (Hit ctrl-alt-del to get the task list)<br>
<br>
Is the 3rd PC running something the others are not?<br>
<br>
Also, hit Start-Run and type &quot;msconfig&quot; without the quotes. On the startup tab, deselect everything in there. Then monitor the usage. Add each item back one at a time or restart it with only one item each time. Monitor the usage. Make sure you notate which items were selected under the startup tab before you start removing them!<br>
<br>

Hey, I have started having this problem too. I control-alt-del everything but explorer sys tray and the 30+% CPU usage is still happening?

Anyone have an idea?

Hey, I have started having this problem too. I control-alt-del everything but explorer sys tray and the 30+% CPU usage is still happening?

Anyone have an idea?

Oh yes, also I can hear what I think is the HD lightly tap-tap-taping in the background.

That &quot;tap tap tapping&quot; sound may be your HDD. Check the CPU fan to make sure it is still running and that the berrings aren't shot. You can also go into MSCONFIG and turn un-needed things off to free up resources.

In dos, its c:\windows\system32\msconfig or go to start, programs, accessories, system tools, system info. Once there goto tools, msconfig. Under the start tab, you can uncheck things you might not want running in the background.

I hope this helps.
WMH

You can also try running diagnostics on you hard drive, if it's making an unusual sound it may not be a bad idea. Most hard drive manufacturers have a downloadable diagnostic utility you can download from their website.

Scarecrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back