Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High CPU usage by svchost-service in taskmanager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucomMat

Vendor
Oct 30, 2002
US
I have a PC on one of my benches that has unholy high CPU usages in SVCHOST.exe (system-the higher of the 2 by MEM usage), I have investigated all of the systems listed in it in the registry, nothing odd at all with any of them. You can watch the CPU usage spike to 95-100% every 10 or 12 seconds like it is searching for something that needs to be connected. I have eliminated hardware, as I have done a fresh load to a new HDD and it does not have this problem, with that install. In safe mode it does the same thing, I have scanned it with Norton 2002 and online with TrendMicro, and both show clean.

-Mat

Could be AV?

From a post elsewhere:

[[Also, from another message regarding the same issue:

Open a command prompt window and type:
'tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq svchost.exe" /svc' (exclude single quotes).

This will show you what services are running under that particular instance of svchost.exe.

Sorry, I should have stated that it is XP Home...tasklist is not available in Home. My first thought was that it may be NAV, but I uninstalled it and the problem presisted.

Thanks for the input tho!

-Mat

This is a problem that occurs when you install eith McAfee internet security or norton.

See the Mcafee thread for lots of comments.

I'm sick and dont want to install XP over!!!
I have the same CPU issue. After booting the CPU tends to go to 99-100% for mostly SVCHOST.exe or for RNUDLL32.exe or mmc.exe. This all happened within the last week. It seemed to just happen and I have been removing everything, hardware and software, but no luck. I would like to know what hardware other people have that may be similar to mine. Maybe it is a single element or a combo of two or three.

XP SP1

Pent 4 1.6Gig
Intel Board 845DW
768Meg Ram SDRAM
ATI 7500 Video Card
ATI USB TV
Three Hard drives :80 gig Western Digital (Special Edition)
80 Gig Maxtor (133)
Seperate Controller ATA133 Card (Maxtor)
60 Gig Maxtor (133)
Internal SoundMax (Sound Enabled)
SoundBlast Audigy2 Platium
USB2 PCI Card with a additional usb2 hub
three generic usb 1 hubs
DVD ROM Dig Reasearch
CDRW LightOn 48x
Midiman Duo (USB)
HP 5300 Scanner (USB)
HP 930 Printer (USB)
Proview Monitor
Logitech (USB) Camera
Creative Modem (56K)
Cable Modem (USB)(10 Meg)
Intel Ethernet port connected to internal Lan (100Meg)
Nomad MP3 Player
MOTU Par Port Midi interface 4*6
MicroSoft MultiMedia Keyboard
USB Mouse
USB flash memory card reader
USB2 ADC external Harddrive with western digital (80 Gig)
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 Joystick
Microsoft Commander (HID)

Intel Accel patch installed and the latest BIOS.
All the latest drivers and patches for hardware installed

Some Software Installed....
Cakewalk Sonar2XL
Microsoft Outlook 2002
Frontpage 2002
Microsoft Office 2000 Premium
Money 2003
Project 98
Many games....including Sims Deluxe which I have read may cause this problem, add has been removed.
Nero cd burning software
NTI cd burning software
Intel Monitor
Have had a second monitor attached but it doesnt matter either.

I have recently been upgrading hardware and software from a previous version, example Audigy to Audigy2 Outlook2000 to outlook 2002, Frontpage 2000 to 2002, money 99 to 2003, encarte 2000 to 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back