Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepinbob

Programmer
Apr 7, 2002
US
My company uses a Lync 2013 server and the clients range from Lync to skype for business 2016.
We recently made a significant upgrade in bandwidth on the WAN to our other sites (from 1.5 meg to 10 meg)
Here in the last week or so the Lync server seems to be pushing out 20 - 30 megs pretty consistently. I have done some packet captures and find that it looks like Lync traffic as best I can tell, but I check with the users who are on the other end and they are not doing any video, audio and usually not much if any chat. I had thought maybe Lync shapes traffic based on bandwidth and now with bigger pipes it is using more, but it does not seem to be consistent rather usually pushing mostly to a few users much higher than others.
Can anyone tell what this might be? Is Lync pushing updates? Might this be something nefarious? What are some things I can look for since much of the Lync traffic is encrypted?

Bob

If they aren't doing video, then the next thing I can think of would be screen sharing (P2P or within a Lync meeting), followed by audio traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back