Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

high availability via redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisLaborde

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2002
US
Where would I begin to learn about implementing high availability for IIS servers? Our company is beginning to invest more in our public sites, and the question has come up as to whether it's time to introduce some sort of redundancy for reliability reasons.

We're not really interested in keeping all the sites "in sync" or such, just providing that "the site is up" whether a server goes down, or an internet conneciton is down, etc.

Right now, we have one internet connection (T1), and on it we have the one server which is our public site. I'm interested in a few scenarios:

a) If I were to purchase a second server and set up the site on it, forgetting the issue of keeping the two servers in sync, how would I simply cause incoming traffic to go to server B if server A were to go down?

b) If I were to only have the one server, but purchase a second internet connection, how would I cause my incoming traffic to get to my server via whichever connection is up at a given time?

c) If I were to lease space at some off-site location, where I can set up a separate server, again ignoring the issue of keeping them in sync, how would I set up so traffic goes to whichever site is up at a given time?

I realize that you could probably combine the options I've listed, but I need to first learn the basic concepts.

Also note, this is not about performance, just availability. Please give me any advice you can, even if you think it's small. So far people are telling me "buy BigIP or RadWare devices." But before making purchases, I want to really understand whats all going on.

Thanks,
Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back