Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Availability/DR options for 2000 Server????

Status
Not open for further replies.

willjwill

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2004
US
Anybody have any recommendations for high availability options for a 2000 server. I had a real fun experience last night when one of our servers went down and I can't afford a repeat performance. What sort of failover or high availability solutions can be recommended? Any actual experience - good or bad - would be great. I need to evaluate vendors quickly.

Thanks,
will

On the hardware side, you could invest in clustered hardware for your most critical servers. On the other hand, you could get your backup/restore plans down cold.

A DR plan and options for H/A really depend on what sort of data/application you are trying to keep available. Some types of data require more expensive solutions than others.

Web servers can utilize Network Load Balancing so that you can take individual servers offline without production downtime.

SQL servers can do log shipping to a standby server.

Mail servers can typically have a backup server handy to either process mail or to restore mailboxes to.

And then there are lots of software solutions that can be thrown into the mix, like Veritas' Bare Metal Restore which allows you to restore a backup to a system that has different hardware.

What sorts of systems are we talking about?

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back