Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hierarchies across dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcoira

Programmer
Sep 26, 2001
US
Hi,

I have customers, stores and products and a neat dimensional design as we can find in any book. But I want to be able to drill down using a hierarchy across dimensions like,

- Stores
- Customers
- Products

I want to select a store and then see all customers that bought some product at that particular store and then select one of them and see the values of all measures for him.

In other words I need to be able to drill down not only by dimensions but also using relationship between dimensions as stated in the fact table.

Any clue on how to do that using Microsoft Analysis Services?

Thank you,

// jcoira

This would be handled through the query. Many reporting tools have a crossdrill function that does this. You could also handle this through MDX.

Paul

Paul

What are you using to query the data?
At it's very simplest level most tools will allow you to hide null data for dimension members which would essentially do what you're looking for... even if they didn't allow you to crossdrill (dependant on how big your dims are I suppose :).

If you're using Novaview or Aimcall I can probably do you a screenshot...

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back