Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hidinig Scheduled Tasks In Network Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

E1Designs

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2005
US
The main share on the serevr displays the Scheduled Tasks folder...how can I make this invisible when users are brwosing these shares on any given server?

Tried this...no luck:

I think you have to do that on the clients.
Test it on one client, then if it works, i'll write you a Group Policy extension for it, if you wish.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

It worked on the client side...ready for a GP Extension with removal of both Printers/Scheduled Tasks if possible?

About to go to bed now...will look at it for you in the morning.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Schnide...just realised that you need to remove the whole ID key, rather than ammend the value.

I'll make you a script you can run at startup to delete these values from the client registries.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Copy the following code into a notepad file (WITH WORD WRAP OFF). Save as delSharedResources.vbs, and set Save As Type to "All Files".

Implement in Group Policy as you would any startup/logon script.

Code:
const HKLM = &H80000002
strComputer = "."

Set objReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" &_
strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strRegKeyPrinter = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}"

strRegKeyTasks = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}"

objReg.DeleteKey HKLM, strRegKeyPrinter
objReg.DeleteKey HKLM, strRegKeyTasks

Filter/Link to required machines as requested. Applied scripts will completely remove the Scheduled Tasks and Shared Printers from showing up on client. Can be manually, or scripted replaced if desired at a later date. If you dont want everyone to have these shared resources access, be careful not to blanket it over your whole domain, because removing the script from an OU will be too late, the registry keys will not automatically be replaced.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Actually, in regard to above post, you need to put it in a STARTUP script, and not a LOGON script, as standard users dont, by default, have access to delete regkeys. Running in startup will run the script with the machine system account.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back