Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding unwanted cells in Excel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewisReeder

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2005
US
Hi All,

I was wondering how to hide the majority of cells in excel. I currently have a spreadsheet where I only need to see up the "K" column and down to row 51. I would like to hide every other cell except this section of the spreadsheet. I know how to use the hide option, but it requires highlighting every single cell I want to hide. Is there an easier method?

Thanks,
Lew

Hi,

You cannot hide CELLS.

You can hide ROWS or COLUMNS.

Select ALL CELLS

Turn on the AutoFilter

In the subject column, select NonBlanks

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]I'll be dressed to the nines this week, as I go to have my prostatectomy...
Because, if I'm gonna BE impotent, I want to LOOK impotent![tongue][/sub]

Skip,

Im sorry, I was not clear. I need to hide every row/column that I am not using. Ideally, I do not even want to know that a column exists after the "K" column and the same for rows after 51. Is there a way to hide or remove them completely. I know I have seen it done, just not sure how to go about it. Thanks.

Lew

Hi,

Yes, you can accomplish this. Hide the columns and rows you don't want to see then protect the wookbook for structure:
Select Column L and use the Ctrl + Shift + right arrow combination to select all columns to IV. Right click and Hide.
Then select row 52 and use the Ctrl + Shift + down arrow combination to select all remaining rows. Rich click and Hide.
Tools menu/Protection/Protect Workbook. In the popup, leave Structure selected, add a password if desired, and click OK.
Close and re-open. This ought to doit!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Select Column L by clicking on the column header itself, up in the gray box above the cells.

Press [Ctrl]+{Shift]+Right Arrow.

Right Click anywhere in the selected cells.

Select Hide.

Repeat for row 52, replace right arrow with Down Arrow to select all subsequent rows.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Hi,
You can do the following to hide unwanted rows and columns and then protect the workbook for structure:
Click on Column L, use the Ctrl + Shift + right arrow combination to select all remaining columns, right click and hide.
Click on row 52, use the Ctrl + Shift + down arrow combination to select all remaining rows, right click and hide.
Tools menu, Protection, Protect Workbook, leave Structure selected, add a password if desired, click OK.
Close and re-open. That oughta do it!
Hope this helps!

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Blue,

You just posted almost the same thing. You haven't gone and lost your short term memory, have you? [wink]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Thanks guys. It worked.

Learn something new everyday,
Lew

Close, anotherhiggins, but not yet :) My screen didn't refresh so I thought it didn't get posted...
that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back