Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding the M drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2001
US
Hello I have a Citrix 1.8 Farm with 5 machines running on NT4TS Sp6. Microsoft outlines a procedure for hiding the M drive in technet article Q242092. This does not work as only my PDC citrix box has the common.adm file. Does anyone have any tips for hiding the M drive? Should I copy the common.adm file to all member servers? Replication is not happening in this enviroment? Profiles are roaming. There is no BDC just 4 member servers and the PDC in a citrix load balanced enviroment. Citrix support was no help either they said use technet article q242092 whcih is did not suffice.

Regards-Joe Bauschek

I'm not sure I get the full picture on your setup - you're running MetaFrame on a PDC?

Also, you need a little more than just a copy of the common.adm on the member servers;

1) You need to develop and implement a policy for your groups of Citrix users.

2) You need to configure this policy on the PDC and make sure that the ntconfig.pol (or whatever you've called your custom Citrix policy) is in %systemroot%\system32\Repl\Export\scripts and that your replication service is running correctly and delivering the policy to your BDC(s).

3) You need the zakwinnt.adm file from Microsoft's NT Resource kit (or I can provide a link, if necessary) to configure hidden drives.

4) You may need extra tweaks and reghacks to hide M:\ from certain "rogue" applications (such as Microsoft Word or Internet Explorer).

I hope at least part of this addresses your issue.

Question to Citrix engineer.

What are these tweaks that you refer to, regarding IE. I have a client experiencing an issue, where a Citrix user can launch IE, click on File save as, and view the Citrix system drive (though it is hidden from other apps).

Da Ruster

There are a couple of major ways you can tie down IE;

1. By using the Res. Kit.

2. By implementing a policy template.

There are some good ones at that are specific for different versions of IE.

The issue you refer to is not an IE one, however - the Save As dialog is part of the Explorer (as opposed to Internet Explorer) API. This has many holes - eg simply right-clicking inside the dialog will allow a user to explore whichever drive he/she likes.

I believe one of the options in the IE tmplates is to disable menu options such as Save and Save As. For public installations, I tend to disable the entire File menu, and just leave icons on the toolbar for printing.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back