Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding Start-Programs, recycle bin, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjjax

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
US
We are running Win 2000 server and want to limit some of our 2000 pro clients as much as possible. We can do most of what we want through policy settings for that organizational unit but there are a couple of things we can't seem to do. Basically, all we want them to do is signon and show the desktop with just a short cut to the programs that we decide to put out there. I can do that by putting it under all users but when a new user signs on for the first time, they get some deafult programs under the start-programs like IE and Outlook express and some others. I can go in after they signon and clean them up but as new users come along, I would have to maintain it. Is there a way to not to show the programs option at all when they click on the Start button, only show shutdown? And, while we're at it, we'd like to not even show the recycle bin or my computer icon even though there is nothing in it anyway. Is there a way to do all of this so that each new user will be the same? Thanks, Joe

Yes, there is away to do this. What you need to do is create a generic user, then log on to the server as this user. Configure your menu/desktop with what you want users to see. Then log out and log back in as administrator, now go to my computer properties, user profiles tab. From there copy the newly created profile to default user. Anyone who logs into a server get their profile from default profile. What you're doing is replacing user.dat file and user.man file in default program with the new one you've just created. Of course, you want to make a copy of this file b/4 you replace them.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

it looks like it did most things but still got IE and Outlook express on start menu which I would like to get rid of too. Not that they can do anything with them but less things for them to play with. Thanks, Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back