Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding Database objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peps

Programmer
Feb 11, 2001
ES
Does anyone know how to show or hide multiple database objects in one go. At the moment, I'm having to select the object (Table, Query, Etc) and change the hidden attributes checkbox to True or False. It's not a problem but it is very slow. Can this be done by selecting various Tables, Forms, Querys, Etc and changing the propities in one go?

Peps

Two possibilities:
1. write a procedure that changes the attributes in looping through the collection
2. Group the objects in a library MDE and reference it (see ACCESS ONLINE ENCYCLOPEDIA on for details).

Fran

Hi to everyone.
Just a thought, but i don't know how it could be work.

(Access 97)
First, you have to make system objects visible. Click Options on the Tools menu, click the View tab, and then select the System Objects check box.
Now, in your Tables Area should be appear a Table named "MSysObjects". In that table there is a Field named "Flags". If we increase the value for this Field by 8 then the object of this line becomes Hidden.
Although i can delete lines of this Table via code, i can not update it.
If at this point you have an idea, please post it.

While it is always possible to modify the system tables you have to bear in mind that this is extremely dangerous. In the worst case your MDB will become corrupted and inaccessible.

Thanks for your input,

I've got to agree with Fran, I'd rather not change the system tables (Just in case). Fran, although your input was valid, it's not going to solve what I'm trying to do. I have various databases, which are only accessible via a main menu (needless to say that passwords are needed to gain access to any of the stated databases). Access is denied if you try and open any of the databases directly (you HAVE to go via the main menu)... BUT if a new database is created any of the database objects can be imported, meaning that any Tom, Dick or Harry can get in. I've hidden a few queries, forms and reports and this solves the problem (up until the point where the "Show hidden objects" checkbox is ticked.

Any ideas on protecting a database so that it is not possible to import in any objects?.

Peps

Hello, Peps,
Finally you ask the question that you really had in mind:
How can I protect my frontend code and my backend tables?

The answer is simple since there is only one real solution:
-transform the frontend into MDE
-activate the security system (correctly!) on the backend
-link the backend tables no longer as tables but as queries with ownweraccess option activated.

In terms of security the "Hiding" of any database object is completely senseless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back