Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding Current Div

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrottman

Programmer
Jun 17, 2005
I am working on a small app. And I have ran into an issue. How can I hide the current div that is being displayed when I click on a link, and load the new div.

Using javascript you change the display css property of the div to none. This is all I can tell you with the information you provided us.

Here is a wee example you might be able to follow...
Code:
<div id="div_one">This is some text in div 1</div>
<a href="javascript:document.getElementById('div_one').style.display = 'none';document.getElementById('div_two').style.display = 'block';">Click for next...</a>
<div id="div_two" style="display:none;">This is some more text in div 2</div>

Harry

Code:
<div id="div_one">This is some text in div 1</div>
<a [COLOR=red]href="#" onclick=[/color]"javascript:document.getElementById('div_one').style.display = 'none';document.getElementById('div_two').style.display = 'block'">Click for next...</a>
<div id="div_two" style="display:none;">This is some more text in div 2</div>

might be better ?

Well, ideally you would offer a solution that used onclick for javascript users (with a return false at the end) and degraded for non-javascript users... where you would use the href part of the anchor...
Code:
<a href="?showdiv=2" onclick="document.getElementById('div_one').style.display = 'none';document.getElementById('div_two').style.display = 'block';return false;">Click for next...</a>
You would code the page server-side to deliver some inline CSS to the first div, and not for the second div (in the example we are using above).

Just as a note... you do not need to put "javascript:" inside an onclick event [smile]

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page @ Code Couch
[/tt]

What is Javascript? FAQ216-6094

yeah, eerrm, well thats the way I would have done it too, ahem..... :)

Well the issue that I have run into is that, I wont know the current active div. All my links are dynamically generated on the fly. And I wont know what the current active div is.

Is there anyway to do something like currentActive element?

You'd just create a javscript function that accepted the current div as a parameter.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back