Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding a sub-area for non-users

Status
Not open for further replies.

sysadmin07

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2007
US
Hi,

I have a sub-area in SharePoint, in which the members of it have been appropriately defined. Although non-members can't access it, they can still see that the link to the sub-area exists. Is there any way that I can hide the link for non-members?

Thanks.

Is this sub-area a site, a document workspace, or a meeting workspace? When you set up this space did you use same permissions as the parent site or did you use unique permissions?

I had the same issue about a year ago with a site because I used the same permissions as the parent site. When I used unique permissions, the people not having access to the site did not see the link.

Everyone has read permission to our main site. They could see the link to the sub-site even though they didn't have access to it because they had read permission. By using unique permissions, they don't know it exists unless they have permission to enter. Can SP deny you access to a resource before you try to access it? I think that is why the link is visible.

This may not be the answer to your issue, but I believe it was the answer to mine. I hope it helps you.

Thanks PlanningCouncil. It is a site. As of right now, only the members have permission, but the non-members can still see it. If they attempt to enter, they are given the option to request access. Any more ideas?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back