Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding a Seleted icon from System Tray 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasithg

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2004
LK
Hi
I was wondering whether anyone has found a software which could be used to hide an icon on the System Tray.
Say I have a Program - application.exe which creates a sys tray icon, I want to call it through a "hiding" program which can then hide that applications Icon from user's view

Or...

Maybe a Program that Hides all system tray icons (Sometime happens when windows 98 used to get stuck and continues...

Thanks in advance
Lasith

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
"NoTrayItemsDisplay"=dword:00000001

This will hide all sys tray icons. You may have to create this key.

Cliff, CCNA/MCSE/MCSA 2000
Network Administrator

Cliff,
The Reg Key you gave was new to me, but As far as I checked, and tried, it works only for WinXP. Not for WIn98/2000.
Lasith

Hi Lasith
I have a similar problem with W2k, but I want to hide a system tray icon of an unplugged network device.
I tried cliff's registry key under HKCU, but did not work either. I found a free tool on the free version for Tray Pilot Lite 1.10 which seems to work. But I would like to control it by myself. There must be a way to access the information at least over some OS-programming interface. Does anyone have an idea?
If you Lasith have some more details please let me know.

Thanks

TheBeeSumsi,

Thanks I'll check out the SW u said, I've known of a few programmers who say this can be done - via MFC or something - but havent been able to get it going.
I'm looking at hiding the VNC(WinVNC/RealVNC...) Icon - Remote Network Computing.
I've noticed sometimes when windows 98 gets stuck, all the tray icons dissapear - so there must be some method

I havent still checked out the tool bcastner mentioned.
LasithG.

Lasith G.
B.Sc (Hons), MIEEE
Coordinator - ITRC,USJP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back