Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hiding a folder - From from an extreme newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesterthebear

Programmer
Jan 1, 2007
AU
I currently have a shared reseller hosting space on a unix server, and I'm trying to configure member accounts to contain a hidden folder.

Here's the structure I want...
- member read write access
- hidden but contents can be called by other scripts, or by typing the script address into the browser (say,
I tried setting permissions for the folder to be hidden to 711 from within a creation php script (php's owner is a different owner to the ftp owner), and that hides all of the files within the folder, but it doesn't hide the folder.

Is it possible to hide the folder completely?

(NOTE: I don't have root access to the server, but am considering switching to a VPS provider).

Thanks
CTB

You can hide folders and or files from being listed at the shell prompt using ls by calling them .dirname, however this won't hide them from FTP, and it is trivial to use the ls -a option to list them.

For what you require I'd consider using Apache's facilites for address rewriting, so that the /scripts doesn't actually exist in that location, but when Apache sees that path in the URL it knows where to look for them. The cgi-bin subdirectory is usually configured this way... in fact, that is probably the one you should use for this scenario?

Annihilannic.

Thanks Annihilannic,
I guess that means switching to a VPS so that I have access to the root, and to apache's pathing configuration.
Cheers, and much appreciated.
CTB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back