Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hide some links from search engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpann

Programmer
Jun 19, 2007
GB
How can I hide some active links on a page from search engines, and let search engines index other links on the page

? Preferably not relying on Javascript.

for the actual page use
Code:
<meta name="robots" content="noindex">

for a specific anchor use
Code:
 <a .. rel="nofollow">some link text</a>
using the rel attribute on the link.

Remember search engines do not index links, they index pages, so you need to set the page with the meta tag to tell them not to index the page.

you can also use the robots.txt directive to exclude pages from search engines.

However, it is up to the search engines whether they honour any of these settings.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"
Free Electronic Dance Music

1DMF said:
However, it is up to the search engines whether they honour any of these settings.

My experience with my website is that Google generally honors the 'noindex' and 'nofollow' settings while Yahoo tends to ignore them. Have not checked other search engines to know what they do.

Therefore, you have two options:

1) Do not put sensitive information on any web page.
2) Obfuscate any information so that it does not get indexed properly.

I do both.

mmerlinn

Poor people do not hire employees. If you soak the rich, who are you going to work for?

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Raymond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back