Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide 'Connect' and 'Contact Support' from Start Menu - All Programmes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinmitton

Technical User
Feb 24, 2005
GB
I'm in the process of setting up my new Windows 10 x64 (1607) build to be rolled out to my users.

I've come across a minor issue / annoyance in the Start Menu in the All program. I've already removed all the store applications from the build but I'm left with shortcuts to 'connect and 'contact support'. I only want to hide them from that list but cannot find where the links are. I've checked :

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

But nothing there.

I'd usually not worry too much but as they are 'up the list' my users may think they can contact me through those applications!

I'm rolling out my images using MDT 2013 from a windows 2016 server and all the PC's are in a domain so would prefer to use GPO.

I've googled a lot about this but coming up short.

If they are on the desktop, simply delete the link before you make the image. If they are in the start menu then right click and select un-pin from the startup menu

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Can't...

When I right mouse click on the application (its in the 'all program' section of the start menu)

There no un-pin option
contactimage_q9q6kp.png

I've already completely remodeled the start menu and task bar via XML its the only part I'm stuck on.

Might want to give this a read:
Here is an easier read on how to get rid of most via Powershell: (This one will not work for Contact Support but has good info for others trying to remove annoying built in Windows apps)

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Doesn't work for those two applications! They are windows features (although not listed so I cant stop them from installing) Really frustrating as its only going to cause confusion.

So I can continue on with the setup / config I'm going to try AppLocker to stop them from running if clicked on but would really want to hide / in-install if possible.

So I'm going to read up on AppLocker for now!!!

Damn it! We're running Pro and to use AppLocker with domain GPO you have to have Enterprise.

Any thoughts?

Renaming the folder for Connect prevents it from running.

Connect_xuv4fm.jpg

Contact Support is in there too.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Thanks, sorry for the delay but been up to my neck here!

The rename worked, added it to a powershell script I run as part of the deployment so every PC I build will all happen automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back