Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide an IP address of a router. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironhide1975

Programmer
Feb 25, 2003
US
I'm trying to hide the IP address given to me by my cable company. Unforunately I have several computers behind a router. Is there someway to hide my IP address at the router end, or is it possible to put a computer before the router, and use Internet Connection Sharing to change the IP address and share it with the router?

Any help is greatily appreciated, let me know if this makes sense.

The only way to hide the IP address of the router is to unplug the power cord. I suspect we may have a terminoligy conflict here - what are you trying to acomplish? Are you trying hide the router from your ISP so they think that you have only 1 computer? If so, most recent routers have a MAC address cloning function to mimic the MAC address of a single network card.

I'm trying to hide my IP from the world or give them a different IP address.

Is this possible through a proxy or anonymity?

Here's some food for thought. If you were to hide (as in invisible/doesn't exist) your IP address, where would a web server send the content that you presumably want to view? Second, if you were to give a different IP address (someone else's?) where would a web server send the content that you presumably want to view?

The second scenario is actually a simplistic way of how anonymizing services work. They proxy whatever content that you're after - that is, they get the content for you (with their IP address), then present or forward the content to your machine. The web server that the content comes from has no record of your IP address only the proxy's.

Ok so how do I use a free proxy server with a router? I have a typical Linksys router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back