Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hide All Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

indigoblue

Programmer
Sep 7, 2000
GB
i have a function hideMenu:

function hideMenu(menu){

if (document.layers){

hMenu = document.layers[menu];
}
else if (document.all){

hMenu = document.all(menu).style;
}

hMenu.visibility = hidden;
}

That hides divs. I want to make sure that all the divisions are well hidden when the page loads. The divisions are numbered 0-9, so I thought I could have a function called hideAll which went something like this:

function hideAll(){

for(i = 0;i < 10; i++){

if (document.all){
var toHide = document.all(i);
}

else if (document.layers){
var toHide = document.layers;
}
hideMenu(toHide);
}
but it doesn't work (I'm calling it through <body onLoad=&quot;hideAll();&quot;>

Could someone please put me out of my misery? [sig][/sig]

try this:

function hideAll() {
var toHide;
for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
if (document.all) {
toHide = document.all.style
} else {
toHide = document.layers
}
toHide.visibility = hidden;
}
}

or you might have to reference i inside the array like this: [&quot;'&quot; + i + &quot;'&quot;] [sig]<p>ray<br><a href=mailto:rheindl@bju.edu>rheindl@bju.edu</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

But the lopp variable i isn't referenced anywhere in the loop... [sig][/sig]

sorry, but my post got really messed up because is thinks that (i) , but with brackets, is a markup tag for italics; it should read :

toHide = document.all(i).style
and:
toHide = document.layers(i)

just substitute brackets for the parentheses [sig]<p>ray<br><a href=mailto:rheindl@bju.edu>rheindl@bju.edu</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

You can stop your code from being processed by the Tek-Tips TGML processor by either unchecking the &quot;Process TGML&quot; check box, or enclosing it within IGNORE /IGNORE TGML tags. [sig]<p>nick bulka<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= </a><br>Get your technical books at Bulka's Books<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back