Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hidden System Partition after install on Dual Boot. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

linney

Technical User
Nov 5, 2001
AU
If you loose (it's hidden) your System Partition (the one with the boot files) after installing Windows 7 on a dual boot machine, you can show it again by assigning it a Drive Letter in Windows 7's Disk Manager.

You may also have other access problems when it comes to running .exe, .bat or similar files from the now unhidden partition. This can be fixed by copying the .exe etc to another location on another partition such as something like your folders on the Windows 7 partition.

Useful information to know, a star for you linney.

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

I remember when I first installed Windows 7 on a partition. After booting into Windows 7, it showed it was being on C: instead of G: where I assigned it. I completely freaked out and then breathed a sigh of relief when I booted into Windows XP (my main OS) and saw everything was correct.

It's interesting how it does that and moves any other partitions up one drive letter.

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday." - Dale Carnegie

I guess it is a fact of life when dual booting Vista and Windows 7 that the booted system will grab C: when loaded. To avoid confusion and panic, give your drives (partitions) filenames that make sense to you by using the Rename option.

Linney

Over the years I have used Partition Magic to add and remove partitions, sometimes these changes resulted in drive letters moving from one partition to another. As a result of this I have used a partition naming system to alert me to drive letter changes as follows on my multi boot, multi HDD system.

Disk 1 reads as follows:

D1_A Floppy(A:), D1_C Boot(C:), D1_D XP OS(D:), and so on.

By comparing my _A,_B or _C to the letter in the brackets which is the one Windows allocates, I can then change the Windows drive letters to match my original setup if any change has occurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back