Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hidden files.... created by Dave? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jockojem

Technical User
Jan 7, 2002
GB
Hello

I recently setup a MacOS client in our print dept with Dave. The aim was to enable interchange of large files with other depts using a share on a Windows 2000 server.

I noticed that two hidden directories - DesktopFolderDB and TheVolumeSettingsFolder have been created in the server share I created for the project.

What are these and what do they contain? In order to enable the file sharing the permissions on this share are very loose. Should I be concerned? Can these be locked down? Or moved?

TIA

Jem

Windows creates those automaticaly... just parameter settings. Apple's system would do something similar...

Thanks for your response - however I am pretty certain that these files are Mac generated. Which is why I don't know anything about them! :) I can see that they are analagous to eg System Volume Information on a Windows partition.

However my question is... is there any risk in having this files exposed on file share as Everyone|Modify. And if there is what is the maximum level of security I can impose on them.

Jem

Yes, these files are Mac-generated. Consider them as index files that catalog the files shared by the Mac. Since they index, they should not be locked down too tightly. If you allow open access and someone accidentally deletes them, the Mac will re-generate them.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

That's great - thanks for your help.

Jem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back