Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hibernation failing now after doing a system restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

solderjockey

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
OK, here's the scenario: I needed to do a system restore due to a bad video driver. Afterward, I Hibernated my system. After I powered on, when it should have brought me to the login screen, it just sat there blank. When I reset the system, this time I got a screen asking me if I wanted to attempt another normal boot, or discard the hibernation info and restart. I can verify that the Hibernation was working before the system restore. This is not a showstopper type of problem, just kind of an annoyance, but I've seen it happen before and could never figure out what to do to correct it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

it's hard to say what kind of real problem this is...but i would start with totally reinstalling your older video card drivers.

Is this a consistent problem? I'll often have hibernation problems after a crash or an update, but they're usually not consistent... the next hibernation and all that follow work fine (for me).

-Rob

In response: Hibernation was working even with the newer (bad)video driver, and it was working up until I did the Restore. Yes, it is consistent, failing 100% of the time. Instead of showing the login screen, it just sits there blank. I've gone back to the older video driver with no help.

Is it too late to undo your restore operation from within System Restore?

Maybe switching off Hibernation and deleting the Hibernation file (I can't remember what it's called) and then switching Hibernation back on might help.

It could just be a problem with a bad block off data that running Chkdsk might fix.

I should have done this at the beginning of the post; here's my system config, in case anyone's heard about issues specific to this mobo/chipset combo:
MSI 6570-010 (K7N2-L)
Athlon XP 1700
256MB Crucial DDR PC2100
Nvidia TNT2 M64 32MB
1) Western Digital 80GB 7200rpm Special Edition 8MB cache
1) Western Digital 40GB 5400rpm
Enermax 350W Power Supply
1) Lite-on 40125s CDRW
1) Lite-on LTN526D CDROM
Nvidia 44.03 Video Drivers
Latest MSI board driver updates
NOTE: the video and board drivers are both MS certified.

I probably should have told you that I had this same problem on my former board, a ECS K7S5A. I can't figure out what System Restore would change in order to mess up teh Hibernation feature. I've tried, as linney suggested, turning off hibernation and turning it back on again, and running checkdisk, but both disks came back clean. If nobody has any other ideas, then thanks everybody for your time & help, but I would appreciate any help you could give. Thanks.

Is your bios up to date?

311542 - Devices May Not Power Up Properly When Resuming From Standby.

It wont hurt to check your Event Viewer to see if anything is mentioned there.

Some general things to try.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks, linney. I just updated the bios about a week ago (after this problem). I will check the event viewer. I haven't tried SFC yet. Or doing a repair. But I will definitely keep these things in mind; I think my options are narrowing down. Like I said earlier, it isn't a showstopper, just an annoyance I'd like to fix. If I happen to stumble on anything, I'll let you know.

linney:
I verified that the BIOS is up to date. I also checked the Event Viewer, nothing unusual there. I ran SFC last night, it didn't help, just caused me to have to re-install the video and autdio drivers. I guess my only other option is just to do a repair, or re-install if things get bad enough. And thanks for all the links.

Just as an update, if anyone is monitoring this thread anymore, hibernation is working again, and I am not sure why. I recently upgraded the bios (update came out 6-2-2003) and was running bootvis to trace a hibernate & resume cycle in the hopes of finding the offending driver. But, to my surprise, it finished loading and got to the logon screen. So, I am not sure if the bios upgrade did it, and I don't think there is anything bootvis can do to fix a hibernation problem, but all is fine for now. And thank you, all who replied, for your time and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back