Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, There is an employee who got fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopimp

MIS
Jun 9, 2002
CA
Hi, There is an employee who got fired and had to give in his company laptop. I think there might have been some friction between him and the boss .) I was given the task to copy his HD (all files) to another PC and reformat the drive. I have a feeling he might have deleted some OS files (win2000 Pro) because when I startup the laptop it freezes on startup. What would be the simplest way to fix this problem?

Thanks

Why bother trying to recover? Just format and move on... ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Use Ghost or Drive Image to make an image of the hard drive, format and re-install the OS and then you can use Ghost or Dive image to restore any files that your managers might want to look at.

Is the file system FAT32 or NTFS? I would assume that you need work related documents, and not the system files. If so, then with the knowledge of the file system, perhaps we can suggest ways to access those needed files (and then, yeah--wipe it and reinstall if repair attempts fail). Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

why bother trying recover? since the person got fired then just reformat and make it new o/s. unless your boss wanted to have some important data from the person - you need to use safe mode and take some looks.

if i m in your shoes. i will reformat and move on.
----------
Caloy
----------

Definately a few business like replies here ! Given carte blanche so to speak, and being a little bit nosey, I would definately have a look to see what he / she was up to !! As mudskipper mentioned it will make a difference what file system the user was operating but if you are using the same OS the easiest way I can think of would be to slave the drive off on your PC and use your OS to boot. Remember to check for viruses first just in case the previous unhappy owner decided to leave some kind of payload !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back