Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi.. I've got a pentium III cele 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajax288

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
CA
Hi..

I've got a pentium III celeron 600 Mhz with 64 megs of ram. The machine is running on windows 98. (don't know if it's second edition) Recently a 256 mb dimm has been plugged in. Now every times that i shut down in windows start menu the computer simply reboot instead of closing. Can someone help with this..

thanx

Assumming you've chosen the correct RAM:

If you're using Win98 Second edition (4.10.2222A), here's a link to the Shutdown Supplement:

If its installed and not working correctly,

The Fast Shutdown registry key may be enabled.

The Microsoft System Configuration utility includes an option to disable Fast Shutdown. If this option is unchecked in Windows 98 Second Edition, your system may reboot instead of shutting down.

To resolve this issue, backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown

Right-click on the FastReboot entry, choose modify and type in the number 0.

NOTE: When you apply the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement, which addresses shutdown issues, the Disable Fast Shutdown option is no longer listed on the Advanced tab in Msconfig.

In Win98 First Edition (4.10.1998), go to Start>Run, type msconfig, click the Advanced button and check Disable Fast Shutdown.

reghakr

thanx for your help i'll try this out..

AjaX

I had the exact same problem on a Dell desktop computer a few days after I installed additional memory. I went into the bios setup and changed the setting about OK to start the computer after a power outage to NO do not start the computer after a power outage and that fixed it.

If that does not work, you can try to disable the power management entirely in the bios.

Hope this works for you as well as it worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back