Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I'm confused with simple thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellis27

Technical User
Nov 6, 2003
US
Hi,
I'm confused with simple thing,
I have created a report in the development box and after testing, I need to migrate it to Production box. Do i need to do this thru Object Manager or i can do it in Desktop ?.
what is the migration process flow from Dev box to Prod box. any help is appreciated.
thanks in advance.
-ellis

yes, you need to use Object Manager.

I tend to select 'use existing' when migrating objects that are new but for some reason change the version number of other objects in the target project...that is, of course, assuming that you haven't touched the other objects that appear in the conflict resolution screen.

Chael

Chael,

Speaking of object manager, have you found any way to manage moving objects between environments any easier? One problem is that everytime an object gets moved it's version number changes and the date gets updated in the new environment. If you ask me the object hasn't changed and it should have the same version number as in the original environment. Is anyone else confused/annoyed about this "feature"?

That isn't a feature; it's a bug. At the main implementation that I'm working on, running 7.2.2, the MSTR consultants and I found that when you migrate objects, if you choose to "Keep Newer" rather than "Replace", the version number goes over properly about 75% of the time. I believe that the object cache size on the destination IServer affects this as well, but we haven't had a chance to fully test this.

If you ask me, MSTR should scrap this foolishness about OM; it's too difficult for a large project to keep track of the effects of MD changes, esp for schema changes. A change in an attribute also changes the version IDs of the logical tables to which it is mapped. What's up with that?

Instead, MSTR should invest in making Command Manager fully functional, so that all Desktop functionality can be scripted. That way, migrating would be a simple matter of executing a script, the same way you migrate an object in a RDBMS.

The world is already full of DBAs with significant experience dealing with the change control processes associated with scripts. Managing change control processes associated with OM (Object and Version IDs) is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back