Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I have a web server (NT4.0/I

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwu1998

Programmer
Jan 17, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a web server (NT4.0/IIS4.0/sp6) running several intranet applications and is inside a domain. All web applications use domain user IUSR_servername for anonymous access. Recently, I have experienced high frequency of error message saying "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged onto". I have to unlocked this user each time. I have checked all applications that use IUSR_servername to make sure that they all have identical password in Internet Service Manager and in User Manager. Still, the problem continues.

What's wrong here? Any advice/solution would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

You can always go into user manager and set the account not to be locked out anymore (policies->account)

I know, that really doesn't solve the problem of why it's happening in the first place......

You could also create another account to use for internet access, instead of the IUSR_servername account.

Again, just another workaround;

My 2 cents.....

This sounds similar to a problem I have. Accounts suddenly became locked out - my users are children so unsuccessful logins happen frequently. The policies/accounts were NOT set to lock out after so many tries for exactly that reason. At about the same time new folders were created in their profiles with a .pds extension. These folders called ntuser.pds are not accessible by any accounts with administrator permissions (I thought Administrator had access to everything) I've searched and searched for a reason/solution and not found anything as yet, so I'd be very interested in any suggestions.

:)I Leco

Due to the standard use of IUSR_machinename account in IIS, it has become a favorite potential weapon of hackers. They will repeatedly try to use this account for accessing your server. Not sure I'd recommend changing the policy to correct the problem; you'd just be giving the potential hacker additional attempts at guessing the password. It might be better to use a firewall to limit the TCP/IP ports available to the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back