Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I have a slight problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bixarrio

Programmer
Jul 4, 2001
ZA
Hi,

I have a slight problem.

I need to convert 150 documents to PDF each month. I have Acrobat 4, and I wanted to print each document to it, but it asks me for a filename each time, for each document. How can I avoid this? _________________
Bixarrio
e = m * (c ^ 2)

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I ran across a similar problem when writing a VB program for converting files to PDF using PDFWriter for Acrobat 4. There is a file called pdfwritr.ini in the Windows\system folder. If you add the line "PDFFileName =" and then put the full path and filename that you want (in quotes) at the bottom of the file, and you won't be prompted for what to name the file. I just used the Open# and Print# statements in my code to manipulate this file and control where the PDF is created.

I would recommend using Distiller 'Watched Folder' option. This allows you to setup a folder for distiller to monitor. When a postscript file arrives in the folders 'In' area, it is autmatically processed and the pdf file ends up in the folders 'Out' area. You can also setup specific distiller job options for the folder to use. For this all to work Distiller must be running (in order for it to watch the folders). To set it up, start distiller and go to watched folders under the settings menu.

As for pdf naming with this function...the pdf will be named exactly as it sent from the application. The only concern would be if several documents have the same name (they would then be overwritten each time the were printed).

This would allow you to print numerous documents from, let's say, MSWord using a specific printer with 'Print to File' selected and the location being the watched folder.

There are other options but this may work for the time being.

Go to the preferences of Distiller 4, and change the output options for file destinations (the checkbox must be empty). Other setting can be changed here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back