Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I am not sure if this is rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladk

Programmer
May 1, 2001
US
Hi,

I am not sure if this is right forum to ask since I am not a javascript developer.
Can anybody please help me to find example of the link in the web form, which would start a desktop application.
The catch is that the desktop application accepts command line arguments, and the arguments need to be some web form fields. The desktop application will be located at some network drive. In other words, the web form has some fields say name and date, and it has the link to the desktop executable, which needs the name and the date to start. I heard it is impossible to implement? If this is correct, then maybe it could be done somehow differently?

Many thanks,
vladk

It cannot be done through Javascript since it requires access to the local OS which no Browser allows Javascript to have.

If it were possible, any random website you could visit would be able to arbitrarily run any app on your computer. Think of what that would mean.

If you need access to an App in a server on your network, you would need something like VBScript on Microsoft Internet Explorer / Edge with the correct permissions set for it to run.

Try posting here: forum329

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
OS-ception: Running Linux on a Virtual Machine in Windows which itself is running in a Virtual Machine on Mac OSx.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back