Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I am new to Mercator and i a

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkaiah

Programmer
Jul 8, 2003
US

Hi,
I am new to Mercator and i am learning. What
is better way to start?
[B\]

venkaiah,

I found the best way to start off programming with Mercator is to use there online library (provided with their software). Especially helpful is the Design Studio Introduction and the Design Studio Tutorial. You have a choice of printing them off and writing notes in them as you study them (a la ol' skool!) or reading them from your workstation via Adobe Acrobat. Good software for EDI and interfacing between systems, in my opinion.

Hands on experience, however, is the best way of learning. I wouldn't recommend any introductory classes, since I've been told they are given in a marathon-type fashion and you might find that they pretty much offer the same thing you would learn by reading on your own. Later on, you might consider a more-advanced class, since these are more stretched out and are done in an easier learning pace (again, only my opinion).

Good luck,
nelfel

Hi Nelfel,
Thank you for your advice. If you dont
mind could you explain me the flow of mercator from
the begin. Like what we do wit type tree designer?
how to compile? How to design map?
I will appreciate if u could send me some examples.

Thank you
Venkaiah

venkaiah,

Your last request depends on what you are trying to use the Mercator software for. For instance, if you're using the Mercator product for EDI, then some of the steps I've included should be altered to better suit your usage. On the other hand, if you are trying to use this to interface between different system platforms (UNIX, Oracle, NT Server, SQL Server, DB2, etc.), then the explanation given below may better suit your scenario.

As for your request for examples, the simplest examples are the ones included with your software, simply because it includes everything you need in order to execute them. I can't give you an existing interface map from the ones I've created because that would compromise my employer's departmental policy (I work for a security firm). I would need to make an example just for you, but then again, I don't have a clue as to how you wish to use the Mercator product.

I also haven't a clue as to what products your company purchased, since that also depends on the way you plan to use Mercator. For example, if you plan to execute the maps manually, your company may have only purchased the Design Studio. On the other hand, if you plan to have the maps run automatically, then other additional software development kits may have been purchased.

In a nutshell, when I create a Mercator map, I do the following:

1- I identify what are my source and target files and/or databases (if the files/databases are huge, I identify the data set I need, which will become my SQL statement in the database query file).

2- I create the ODBC definition (if one doesn't already exist) to connect to the source/target files and/or databases. Be careful to create and use a System DSN rather than a User DSN for your map(s).

3- I create the .mdq(database query)/.mtt(type tree) files via the Database Interface Designer. As for more detail on how to do this, refer to the Database Interface Designer Reference Manual included with your software (sorry, no shortcuts!).

4- I create the .mms(map source) file via the Map Designer. Again, refer to the Map Designer Reference Manual for more details.

5- Compile the map. There may be errors, so if there are any, I would figure out why and then fix them.

6- Run test the map to validate that the logic and the result(s) are correct.

7- Optionally, if the map will be run automatically, I create the .msd(system definition) file via the Integration Flow Designer. Once again, refer to the Interface Flow Designer Reference Manual for more details.

8- Optionally, again if the map will run automatically, I stop the Event Server via the Management Console, deploy the map from the Integration Flow Designer, and restart the Event Server services (on the server where the Event Server is running), and start the Event Server via the Management Console. As mentioned before, refer to the Event Server Reference Manual and Integration Flow Designer Reference Manual for more details.

Steps 7 and 8 are valid only if you are running the maps automatically from a server.

If you give more detail as to how you plan to use the Mercator software, then I probably could try to be more specific.

Yours truly,

Nelson Feliciano
App. Sys. Analyst Developer
The Wackenhut Corporation
nfeliciano@wackenhut.com

venkaiah,

I forgot to mention that type tree designer isn't used that much, in the sense that type trees are now created using the Database Interface Designer. But... it is useful in changing an existing type tree. This is especially useful when you want to group certain records together by creating rules built in to the actual type tree so that records are now more identifiable. For more details, refer to your Type Tree Designer Reference Manual found in the online library within the Mercator directory.

Good learning (no luck needed),
Nelson Feliciano
App. Sys. Analyst Developer
The Wackenhut Corporation
nfeliciano@wackenhut.com

Hi Nelson,
Thank you very much for your detailed reply and
i learned a lot from your process of using mercator.Actually I am a Mainframe programmer experience
with GENTRAN BASIC for mainframe (EDI). I am trying to learn
mercator. Once again thank you very much.
Have a good weekend
Thanks
Venkaiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back