Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi I am new to CR, need urgent help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandarna

Programmer
Jan 2, 2003
US
Hi I am new to CR, need urgent help. any quick response would be appreciated.

I am creating a report with 5 parameters P1_code, P2_code, P3_code,P4_code,P5_code
All five are "allow range values"

p1_code is fine there is no dependence. But when I select drop down box for P2_code, I wanted a dependency, all populated values must be matched with P1_code same way P3_code has a dependency on P2_code.

This is like one dependent on other like hierarchy.

how can I build this kind of parameters. right now all 5 parameters are displaying all the values. Wanted to control.

Please help!
nb

Hi bandarna

What you are referring to is Dynamic (or Cascading) Parameters, and were introduced in CR 11 (as I recall). If you have that version or later, a quick search of the help files should get you sorted. If you have an earlier version, I think you are out of luck.

Cheers
Pete.

Pete,
thanks for your quick response. I have created dynamic Cascading parameters. It is working fine. However something little different than what I am expected.

As I said I have 5 parameters P1_code, P2_code, P3_code, P4_code,P5_code All five are "allow range values"
expected each parameter has two fields start code and end code (range of code user will enter), first P_code is accepting but as soon as I am created second one P2_code than first one (P1_Code) is losing second drop down option.

so first 4 parameters have only one item to choose and 5th one will have both start and end range. This means cascading does allow range only at the last pick list.

is that true? I will try to explain to users today and see if they accept. I am lucky.

again thanks for your help!

nb

NB

I do not have access to any data for testing purposes, but a quick look at CR does suggest that range and multiple values are still valid for dynamic parameters. It may be that when you changed the parameters from static to dynamic it simply reverted to the default setting, which is discrete value only.

Sorry I can't give you any more help on that - I'm sure someone else will be able to provide an answer.

Pete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back