Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, I am getting the error below

Status
Not open for further replies.

benduong

Programmer
Jan 12, 2003
AU
Hi,

I am getting the error below when testing RIM connectivity. Could anyone spot what might be wrong with the RIM setup?

# wrimtest -l tec
Resource Type : RIM
Resource Label : tec
Host Name : aix433
User Name : tec
Vendor : Oracle
Database : tec
Database Home : /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/network/admin/
Server ID : aix433
Instance Home :
Opening Regular Session...FRWRA0024E Could not connect to RDBMS server to access
database tec
The RDBMS server call's return code was: 1034
The RDBMS server call's error was: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

Thanks
Ben

Hi there,

I have received the FRWRA0024E Could not connect to RDBMS server to access error message from time to time. Most of our TMR environment consists of Windows TMR connected to MS-SQL2000. However we do have one server pointed to an Oracle db for testing purposes.

Usually when I get this type of error it is due to the RDBMS not being able to find the actual DB server. For Windows, I usually add the Servers info into the Data Sources (ODBC) settings. The last time that I had to configure the Oracle connection, I believe that I had to run one of the Oracle connectivity tools (Oracle 8 Net Config maybe?) This allowed me to add the Oracle DB to my tnsnames file to allow the RDBMS to find the DB server.

I'm not positive on the exact names of the file that I used (I'm not a DB guy by any means and I may have to set this up once a year). If you would like I can look at my environment and try and cobble together a more in depth response.

Just let me know.
JK

Hello!

ORA-1034 usually means that you can reach the database server, but the oracle processes are not running, or the oracle client tries to connect to an incorrect instance.

On Unix, Oracle provides the command oerr where you can get a short explanation about those ORA errormessages. Simply enter oerr ora <error-number>, like

#oerr ora 1034

01034, 00000, &quot;ORACLE not available&quot;
// *Cause: Oracle was not started up. Possible causes include the following:
// - The SGA requires more space than was allocated for it.
// - The operating-system variable pointing to the instance is
// improperly defined.
// *Action: Refer to accompanying messages for possible causes and correct
// the problem mentioned in the other messages.
// If Oracle has been initialized, then on some operating systems,
// verify that Oracle was linked correctly. See the platform
// specific Oracle documentation.

So:

Verify that the Oracle processes are up and running (ps -elf - there should be several processes named oracleXXX where XXX is different). If not, try to start the database (with the command dbstart, or with the server manager). If the database starts correctly without any problems, then you probably did not configure Oracle to start automatically. You can do this by editing the file oratab (usually in the /etc subdir): In the line starting with your instance name, simply change the N at the end; replace it with a Y.

If Oracle wont start up, verify the alert log for your Oracle instance (usually located in the bdump directory, the directory name depends on your installation, but the file name is alert<SID>.log). If there is a serious error condition, this file contains further information about this error.

Hope that helps.

desp

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies. The problem was caused by the Server ID and instance home being wrong. It's working now with this new config:

# wrimtest -l tec
Resource Type : RIM
Resource Label : tec
Host Name : aix433
User Name : tec
Vendor : Oracle
Database : tec
Database Home : /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5
Server ID : tec
Instance Home : /u01/app/oracle/product/8.1.5
Opening Regular Session...Session Opened
RIM : Enter Option >