Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, everyone: Can anyone tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
May 23, 2001
CA
Hi, everyone:
Can anyone tell me what is the syntax for "regedit.exe", I know it is GUI utility but it does also work under command prompt.

thanks

Z.Y

I don't think that it does work with command prompt. When you edit the registry your editing the windows registry, so why would you do it from a command prompt?

I think you may want to create a script which can change the registry key such as adding key, changing value.

If so, you can check the kix web site to get details.

Cheers,

Hi, Jason:
yes, I want to create a batch including registry change, could you tell me where is the 'kix' web site.

thanks

HI!

Kix is a good solution. I don't know about a kix web site,
but I know that in the NT4 resource kit there is the KIX program,
which has many options for login scripts and supports Win9x clients.

You also have other options:
You can download my free utility collection from here

and there you'll find to programs that can help you:
1) RegToADM converts a REG file to ADM that can be used with Poledit,
to distribute registry settings to clients.
It works with most STRING values, but not so good with BINARY.
If you know how to use system policies then this might help you.

2) NetRUN - This program runs from the login script and can help you run a file (executable, batch, REG or other) only once on each workstation.

Bye

Yizhar

Yizhar Hurwitz

The website you are looking for is This is a batch file utility that is very powerful in writing logon scripts. It doesnt come with any sort of interface, but read the downloadable manuals, i think you will find this program helpful.

REG QUERY /?
REG ADD /?
REG DELETE /?
REG COPY /?
REG SAVE /?
REG RESTORE /?
REG LOAD /?
REG UNLOAD /?
REG COMPARE /?
REG EXPORT /?
REG IMPORT /?

Those are examples of possible options with editing the registry. Most people only use regedit, and that is an exe, not a batch. Use these switches to accomplish much more powerful commands in batch than regedit.exe can. Doing a reg restore /? gives you dead-on access to specific keys you want, etc.

..very powerful & useful stuff..

Hope this is helps..
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Use this to to modify Registry settings from a Kix script

$RC=WRITEVALUE ("subkey", "entry", "expression", "data type")

Where:
Subkey is the registry key (HKEY_Locacal_Machine) etc
Entry is the name of the entry in the registry key, default should use "" as a blank delimtation.
Expression is the data to be entered.
Datatype is REG_DWORD_SZ or similar

Example:

$RC=writevalue ("Hkey_classes_root\clsid\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A1D8-08002B30309D","","Not My Computer","reg_sz")

This would change the label of the my computer icon for all users, at registry level, do not confuse this with the user renaming the icon, different thing

There is also a utility in the NT resource kit reg.exe which is a command line registry utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back