Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi, can anyone help me. My brothers

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoolgrove

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
NL
Hi, can anyone help me. My brothers computer has completely ceased working meaning that Windows will no longer start but he needs to get certain folders off the harddrive before the machine goes in the bin. What he really neeeds to get are all his e-mails (Inbox, Drafts and sub folders ) which he had been storing in Outlook ( not OE) but we don't know where the folders are located or what they are called.
Second question is, once we have the folders will we just be able to drop them in the same folder but on another machine running the same version of Outlook ( he's running Office 97 on a Win 98SE machine)?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

Hi,

1) The file where all the mails stored in Microsoft Outlook has PST extension. Go to the dos prompt and search for *.pst It will show u the the file( most propably in the will be in the windows folder).

2) U have to connect this drive physically to the other system and copy the file in the Windows folder(Default path if not changed). As the file where all the mails are stored is not smaller in size and u can't copy the same to a floppy, so u have to connect the drive to the other system.

Thanks psingh for the swift reply. Unfortunatly we cannot do a search for the .pst files as we can't get into Windows, unless of course you mean do a search from the command prompt with a boot disk in which case I would need to know the DOS command for search.
Secondly, I'm still not sure if you are saying that when we put the folders back the mail will become available again?

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

1) If u can't get into windows, while booting the system keep on pressing F8 key, it will show u a Menu bar choose Command Prompt, u will then come onto the dos prompt. give the following command

dir *.pst /a/s

It will show u the PST file.

If u are not able to come to dos prompt by pressing F8 key, boot the system with a WIN98 boot disk.

2)Configure the outlook onto the other system with ur eamil address and ISP setting, it will automatically create the PST file. Replace this file with the one that u had in the other Hard Disk. It will work for u.

PSingh

Thanks psingh, I shall get my brother to try it and keep you posted.

Again many thanks,

Steve

Remember though that the file will be way bigger than a floppy disk. It would be better to take his other advice and take the drive out of that PC and connect it as a second drive in another PC.
That way you could maybe burn it on CD. They have been known to get to be over hundreds of megabytes!!
Last thing, take ALL the .pst files, you might have an archive folder in there too.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back