Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi all The problem started w

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkymonkey

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
GB
Hi all
The problem started when a collegue of mine said that as soon as he started copying or saving files over the network the machine would just 'reset' I enabled extra logging so that it would blue screen but it doesn't, neither does it log anything to the mindump or event viwer.

Next I tried changing network card and cable and psu but to no effect.
Then I remembered that it was dual boot with 98. I tried 98 and COULDN'T get it to crash (ironic eh :) ).

I then reinstalled 2000 by deleting the files under 98 and then reinstalling.

It still crashes\resets but now does it when installing certain programs (photoshop 6 for example) or by accessing the cd drive when a cd is in.

98 still works without a problem!!!! but I want 2000 for security and NTFS support etc.

So am I correct in ruling out a hardware fault?

Any Ideas because it's baffling me.

Specs:-
Abit VL6 with 1ghz intel III
Geforce 2mx
256 Mb Ram
Dlink Network Card

Thanks in advance

Chunkymonkey

Did you try reseating your memory? I would reseat everything plugged into your computer or motherboard. This sounds like problems I've had. I installed new memory once and that solved it. Another time it was a slightly unplugged HD cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back