Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hi All, My computer just hung, s

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyWatt

Programmer
Oct 24, 2001
GB
Hi All,

My computer just hung, so I powered off and on. After scandisk and a few seconds of the Windows 98 logo I got:

Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

I can get into safe mode, but restarting in "normal" mode gets the above message.

Any suggestions as to how to remedy this?

Andy
"Logic is invincible because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic." -- Pierre Boutroux
"Why does my program keep showing error messages every time something goes wrong?"

One of the files that Windows needs to boot with is trashed. I would suggest reinstalling 98, then getting all the updates.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

In safe mode, run SFC (System File Check). If there is a corrupted file, it should identify it and if you follow the instructions it should install a fresh copy from your Windows 98 disc.

Jontmke,

I ran setup again - it didn't comment about Windows already being installed - but after hardware setup rebooted with same message. I noticed that the last line in bootlog.txt was starting kernel (presumably KERNEL32.DLL). I ran System File Checker, but that did not find anything on kernel32.

Could it be a device driver? I noted that my router assigned an IP and then removed it just when the error message appeared.

Any other ideas?

Andy
"Logic is invincible because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic." -- Pierre Boutroux
"Why does my program keep showing error messages every time something goes wrong?"

Sure, it could be a driver. Try removing the NIC from Device manager and rebooting. Just make sure you have the drivers before you do.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Double cehck the error message for any additional information (it should mention something about initializing a device). Reboot the computer and when(if) the Windows 98 logo screen appears, hit ESC to clear that and pay close attention to see if it flashes any other information. It could be one of the many components of your system causing this. Majority of the time it could be a bad keyboard. Try swapping the keyboard and see if it boots.

Enkrypted
A+

I have tried without NIC and with different keyboard, but to no avail.

I'm currently trying to encourage Windows to install on another hard disk. Then I plan to copy everything onto another computer and start all over again... [cry]

Andy

I have faced this problem on Compaq PCs.The method I used to fix this problem is to remove all Expansion Cards from the slots, leave only VGA ( make sure you note their respective positions), Start Computer.It should boot fine.Reinsert one , test if the problem occurs, if not insert another one ..continue till you finish all the cards.

MK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back